Order For A 3 Tier Cake, But Getting Her Cupcakes Elsewhere

Business By tuffstuff Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm by leah_s

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 8

I know most of you probably have something in your contract that tells the customer they may not have baked goods from another place at their event because of quality control.
This seems like a good idea to me but have not really pushed it. Well, there's a woman who is doing a cupcake tower and she wants me to do the 3 tier cake that is sitting on top. I asked her if she will be ordering cupcakes as well from me and she said no.
How do I politely tell her that I don't want to do the cake unless she orders the cupcakes from me too? Of course, now, it sort of seems like an unreasonable request on my part. Like I am just hungry for more money. (Is it reasonable?)
What would you say?

7 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 8

I just tell them that due to food safety issues and my license that I cannot make a cake for an event if they get additional cakes from somewhere or someone else.

If they ask why, I give them the spiel about if the other cake(s) taste bad or is dry, that is my reputation. And if someone gets sick--Heaven forbid, again, that is my reputation.

Most understand--only a few have said, OK, no thanks.

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 8

i would say, thank you it will be a pleasure working with you. the question is are you good enuff to pull it off with out showing her up but be a compliment to her work also.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

I just tell them that due to food safety issues and my license that I cannot make a cake for an event if they get additional cakes from somewhere or someone else.

"My attorney and my insurance company prohibits me from having other cakes at an event because if there is a problem with the other cake, I could be sued, since people wont' really know which is mine and which is the cheaper grocery store cakes."

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly

i would say, thank you it will be a pleasure working with you. the question is are you good enuff to pull it off with out showing her up but be a compliment to her work also.

I would not do that.

It's business, not a competition or a team effort directed by the client.
It makes as much sense as having two caterers.

If it was Aunt Louise's special cuppy that's a sentimental favorite of the family or something especially poignant, I would recommend that they serve those at a different wedding-ish event--family lunch or at the rehearsal dinner.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

If it was Aunt Louise's special cuppy that's a sentimental favorite of the family or something......

If it IS a family member who does this on the side, she also should check to make sure the facility allows non-licensed cakes in. A lot of folks just seem to think it's an automatic ok if mom or aunt sally makes it, but I know hotels and other places who have no problem telling aunt sally "no cake from you!"

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 8

That's true, Indydebi

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 8

Yeah, I have no problem pulling out the License and Insurance "card." If I lose the sale, I lose the sale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%