You Know What They Say About Fish And Houseguests...

Lounge By mixinvixen Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 1:03am by beachcakes

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 8

they both stink after 3 days!!

last month, out-of-state family called and invited themselves to visit us...this is a cousin, wife and 2 kids who i have only spent about 2 hours total with in 15 years or so...we live in a tourist town, and the whole family has been buzzing about our "big, new house".

i ask the dates, they say the 1st-3rd. i check with hubby, he says i guess, and i confirm by email the dates they had originally requested to stay. wife responds back with an extra day, 1st-4th. i'm kinda floored but i agreed.

they arrive, i drive them to the tourist part of the town, spend all day showing them around, although i'm exhausted from cakes and a road trip i got home from only the night before. they wanted to do a specialty tour of the town, so they paid with their credit card, and commented we could figure it out later what i owed!!!! huh????? you're staying in my house for 4 days, 3 nights, with a personal tour guide, and you're keeping count of the $15 i owe you???? the whole stay, not a single compliment of our house came out of their mouth.

i cooked them a darn good southern breakfast their 2nd morning, my husband made them a true italian spaghetti dinner one night, and we ate out several times...each time, they allowed us to pay for our own tab. last night, their last night here, we ate at a local eatery, and i wanted to test them icon_redface.gif , so i asked my husband for cash, and then handed it to the wife...she asks what for, i tell her it's for payin them back, and into her purse my money goes!!! are you kidding me???

as they're leaving this morning, she informs me that they will probably be back, since there was alot they didn't get a chance to see...

wow...didn't know i'd opened a hotel!! oh darn...we seem to be all booked up...sorry!

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

Oh, no, they didn't?!?

You have got to be kidding me! First they invite themselves, eat your food, sleep in your home (just thinking of what they saved in motel fees is burning me up already), and then tell you that you can ante up with them later?

Next time they call, ask for their address. Then tell them that you will have the local chamber of commerce or visitor's center send them a vacation packet. They would be better at recommending a hotel than you are, since you already live there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 8

OMG, please say you are going to say NO if they call again!!! That is insane......so tacky, so rude.......and so going to happen again if you don't put your foot down. icon_surprised.gif [/list]

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 8

I'd say this is a case where "turn about...fair play" applies. As soon as possible, you and your entire family should go visit these people and give them an experience and then some!

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I'd say this is a case where "turn about...fair play" applies. As soon as possible, you and your entire family should go visit these people and give them an experience and then some!

Unfortunately, they probably wouldn't be nearly as hospitable, wouldn't feed you, and would make you sleep next to the kitty litter box or something. Plus they'd bill you for your stay.

Why does every family have some members like this? Can't we get together and re-assign some members? icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #6 of 8

This sounds like my husband's relatives icon_mad.gif

How completely ignorant of them to use you like they did, and then to not even offer to pay when you guys went out for dinner. Ughhhhhhhh! thumbsdown.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 8

Personally, I'd send them a bill for their 3 night stay in your home with breakfast and dinner added to it. The fact that they just assume you'd be opening your home to them again is just flat out rude. And then to top it all off, take a measly $15 for a "special tour". They'd be paying me back for being their personal tour guide and chauffeur. UGH! The nerve of people, especially family.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #8 of 8

Oh man, how rude!! I too live in a tourist area but I don't have a spare bedroom or pullout sofa! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%