Wilton Rose Bouquet Cutter Set?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 3:26am by favrtdtr

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 12

OK. I have learned to ask you before buying. I have made that mistake before. I need to make rose and have seen tutorials for the Wilton Rose Bouquet Cutter Set. What do you know about it. Would you recomend it? I'm also looking at price. I'm just starting and I want to make a good impression on the cake that I am doing. Hopefully it will lead to more "IF" I can make a very pretty cake. Thanks for what ever advice you may offer. thumbs_up.gif

Sheila

11 replies
sheilabelle Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 12

Would anyone recommend this as a purchase?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 12

Sheila - the Wilton rose cutter set isn't the worse thing out there. I bought it when I first started making cakes. I used a 50% coupon for Michaels or AC Moore for just about everything I bought locally - which helped offset the costs of getting started. But I think that it makes really small roses, and not some of the beautiful roses that you see in the galleries here. Others will be able to point you to come cutters they like to use.

For online videos, I have to suggest Edna's gumpaste roses videos on Youtube. They are great and don't require any special cutters:

HTH icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 12

The Wilton set is good for fast, simple roses. They are great for gumpaste beginners. Once you get the hang of it, you might like the look of roses made using individual petals.

And Edna's video rocks! icon_smile.gif Also, Ainne (how do you spell it?) has a great YouTube tutorial using the 5 petal rose cutter (I don't think it's the Wilton but it's the same idea.)

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 12

I've never bought it but was always put off by the price :/ I don't like spending that much unless I know I'm going to be good icon_cool.gif I bought the JEM individual cutters from GSA and I like being able to control each petal; also I don't freak out that the rest of the 'rose' is going to dry before I can ball tool it icon_smile.gif. oh the individual cutters were only 6.99 and of course shipping icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 12

I got the Wilton Rose Cutter set for $5 using their 40% off coupon - super cheap. icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 12

CakeDiva73 - Where or what coupon did you use? We don't have a Michael's anywhere near where I live. We do have Hobby Lobby about 1 hour away. This week they only have a 25% off coupon and I don't think that they carry the rose cutter.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 12

I had to remake the Wilton display board at one of the Michael's stores where I teach, as the other board fell to the floor.

Yesterday I made the Course 3 board that features Course 3 fondant roses made with the Wilton rose bouquet set you guys have mentioned (yeah, I was too lazy to put calyxes on the roses and I haven't put the leaves in the bouquet yet, or put the ruffle and bead border around the edge of the board, but you get the idea).

Here is a picture I took to show you guys that you can make pretty little roses with that cutter set. They are just small - the fully-bloomed roses are about the size of a golf ball.

sheilabelle Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 12

Cakepro - those are beautiful. How do you go about getting the 40% off coupon and can you use it on-line. Your roses are beautiful! I'm not so interested in doing huge roses right now, I would just like to be able to do roses.

Sheila

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #10 of 12

At Michael's you can get the 40% off coupons in the flyer in the Sunday paper, or they email them if you sign up for their email list.

Sometimes they are in the email themselves, sometimes there is a link, here is the link for this week: http://mic.michaels.com/MichaelsWeekly04_02.aspx?id=38&referenceNo=01594055996

Michael's will also accept Hobby Lobby and Jo-Anne's coupons, Jo-Anne's will accept Michael's and Hobby Lobby, but Hobby Lobby will only accept their own.

HTH!

sheilabelle Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #11 of 12

Randomcakes - The link didn't work. Said "Maximum try out count reached". Whatever that means. I did sign up for their e-mail. Can you order on-line?

TIA

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #12 of 12

Sheila - unfortunately, you cannot order online from Michael's at this time, but you can from JoAnn's - which often has good sales. Good luck with your cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%