What Tip And Icing Do I Use For This Swirl?

Baking By sweetsbyjen Updated 4 May 2009 , 4:34pm by chassidyg

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 30

I love Pink Cake Box's Signature Swirl on their cupcakes but can't figure out how to get such a smooth dense buttercream that will pipe this nicely. I use Sugarshack's Buttercream Recipe for my cupcakes but was thinking of swithching over to something a little less sweet.

I also wonder what Tip they use, I know it's a round tip but I haven't found one that large. I usually just do a 1M swirl but I am looking to do something a little different.

here is a picture:

29 replies
getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 30

The swirl is probably done with a 1A (large round).

laurabeth595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth595 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 30

try just using the coupler. no tip. it works pretty good when i use it.

amyscuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyscuppycakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 30

thanks for posting this because I've been wondering myself. I reckon the coupler idea is great. I'll def give that a go. I have read something along that line before but never said use the coupler just use the bag on it's own! icon_confused.gif

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 30

I was going to suggest the 1A as well.... but the coupler idea sounds great!!!

sweetsbyjen Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #6 of 30

Thanks everyone, I actually did use the coupler and felt it didn't give me a big enough swirl so I just picked up an Aetco 807 tip (canolli round tip) from Fante's, a supply shop in S. Philadelphia and will be trying it this weekend, I will post results!

EyeCandy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 30

Good luck, I can't wait to see the pictures.

sweetsbyjen Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 30

Ok so I used my 807 tip today and here are the results:

[/img]
LL
LL

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #9 of 30

OMG, that strawberry cheesecake cuppy looks to DIE FOR!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 30

I like the swirls too but... the chocolate one just reminds me of something...

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 30

On SweetCuppinCakesBakery.blogspot.com, Anne and Jesse from Pink Cake Box have a recipe posted for their red velvet and cream cheese icing. They mention using a #8 for the icing swirl...

http://sweetcuppincakesbakery.blogspot.com/2009/02/jesse-and-anne-from-pink-cake-box-visit.html

EyeCandy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

HeeHee, same here!!!! icon_lol.gif But they do look elegant!

Nice job on your swirls, I want to go out and buy a 1A now!! icon_biggrin.gif
The cheesecake cupcake looks delicious, what a great idea!!!

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #13 of 30

Wow those look great, I'm gonna have to give that a try!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:49am
post #14 of 30

I like their look too! The "Eat Me" one is my fave out of those!

So, I just read this thread then hopped over to a new one. Low-and-behold, the link someone provided for a company that sells pretty cupcakes liners also has them selling the really big tips to make these swirls! It doesn't give a #, but from the description and the how large the tip hole looks next to the model's finger in the photo, you could probably figure out what size to get/use.

Hth!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 30

I have those tips now!!! The only ones I use now, they were 1.99, they are made by magictip, I'll get the numbers off them when I go upstairs. I bought 3 different sized large rounds, and a giant version of the 1M.

EyeCandy Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #16 of 30

Where did you find the giant version of the 1M? I have seen a woman using a Royal tip like it on You Tube and it looked huge. I want one! icon_biggrin.gif

gia2088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gia2088 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 30

i've been using a large disposable piping bag, and just cutting the tip off. just cut higher up if you want a bigger swirl. really easy and hardly any clean up.

EyeCandy Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 30

Great tip, thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

I have those tips now!!! The only ones I use now, they were 1.99, they are made by magictip, I'll get the numbers off them when I go upstairs. I bought 3 different sized large rounds, and a giant version of the 1M.

I have never heard of this brand. Who sells them and do you happen to have a website addy?

chassidyg Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #20 of 30

I bought all mine local, the largest one I have is 7PT, I'll see if I can find a site.

chassidyg Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #21 of 30

Now I feel bad, not one website has them! However, the store isnt far from my house (which is actually a bad thing icon_biggrin.gif ) I can pick up a couple of round & stars for you if you'd like & send them to you. I really love mine, and bought doubles & triples icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #22 of 30

The Aetco 807 tip makes a large swirl. icon_smile.gif

sweetsbyjen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #23 of 30

check out www.fantes.com they are a local resturaunt supply store around me here in Philly but they have online ordering. I know they have a cannoli set with large tips. a basic round and a star tip. I got a few large tips from them, they have a great selection. Ateco and Wilton.

go here http://www.fantes.com/icing-tools.html and scroll down for the 3 piece set.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

That's so funny! I made some chocolate ones the other day for a cake tasting. When my DH saw them he said, "You aren't going to give those to your customer are you? They remind me of a pile of dog poo!!"

Note to self. Do the chocolate ones with a ridged tip!!!

EyeCandy Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #25 of 30

icon_lol.gif I can see what he means though!!!

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #26 of 30

Wow, those are nice swirls, but what caught my eye even more, was Swede-cakes avatar icon_surprised.gif What a cutie S-W!! Will you marry her off to my son and they can have lots of little, blue eyed blonde babies?

Sorry, totally OT, but she just looks more delicious than the cupcakes icon_redface.gif

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #27 of 30

Carda, you're funny, and so sweet to say that! icon_lol.gif That's my youngest "Svenske flicka"! She's a wild card, with a mind of her own at 4 y.o. I'll check back with you in about 40 years on the marriage thing, cause that's when my husband will finally let either of our girls get married. icon_rolleyes.gif

Back to the OT, my husband says the same thing about the chocolate swirl...sometimes men bring things down to the most basic of levels, huh? icon_lol.gif I can't find a large enough star tip though. May have to order online.

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

Carda, you're funny, and so sweet to say that! icon_lol.gif That's my youngest "Svenske flicka"! She's a wild card, with a mind of her own at 4 y.o. I'll check back with you in about 40 years on the marriage thing, cause that's when my husband will finally let either of our girls get married. icon_rolleyes.gif

Back to the OT, my husband says the same thing about the chocolate swirl...sometimes men bring things down to the most basic of levels, huh? icon_lol.gif I can't find a large enough star tip though. May have to order online.

Yeah, immediately when I saw your avatar I thought she had to be Scandinavian, and then I saw your screen name. I'm Danish but my mom's Swedish. So my son is half Danish, half South African, but he has the same 100% Scandinavian look. It's like you can spot it a mile away.

Anywa, they sund like a perfect match. My son is only 18 months but likes older women. And he has a mind of his own already now, so he would give back as good as he gets. I'll get back to you in 40, only the best for my son, so I can wait icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #29 of 30

I found these on cooksdream.com. I don't think the picture worked, so here is the link. http://cooksdream.com/store/tipsss.html

I only looked at one hit from my search, so I'm sure there are more. These come individually or in a 10-piece set. Do they look big enough for what you are talking about?
LL

chassidyg Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #30 of 30

found some on this website, just as big as mine are, and they have 3 pages of large tips

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=244

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%