Luster Dust On Fondant

Decorating By MACakes Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 11:05am by artscallion

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 18

I have not had much success dusting luster dust on my fondant pieces. Mostly it just wipes off. I tried dry brushing it on when the fondant is still moist and again after it dried (fondant/gumpaste mix) but neither look very nice.
Can luster dust be mixed right into the fondant? I'd love to get that smooth shiny look to my fondant. Any suggestions? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks MA

17 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 18

Try mixing the luster dust with either alcohol (vodka) or vanilla and brushing it on the fondant. Make sure you can give it enough time to dry before having to move the piece.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 18

Wich luster dust are you using?..is it colored?..What are you trying to achieve?
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 18

You can also -very carefully- set the dry luster dust with steam. After the cake is complete, run a clothes steamer (I have one designated for cakes only)over the entire cake (from enough of a distance that if it "spits" it won't leave a wet blob on your cake.) The steam sets the luster dust, as well as the fondant --giving the entire cake a finished look. Practice first as it takes a little finessing to do this without getting things too wet.

MACakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 18

I bought the Wilton luster dust. I would like to get a nice sheen on the fondant base and also to my fondant roses. Is there a better product I should be trying?

Thanks for asking Edna, I love all your videos and respect your opinion.

Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 18

If you get a chance at any time, purchase from the large variety offered by Global Sugar Art. I am currently hooked on Crystal Colors brand; however, all they offer are wonderful. Sunflower Sugar Art is another wonderful brand of Petal, Pearl and Luster dusts. A little goes a long way with all of them and the quality is superior.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 18

If you have access to a store that sells cake supplies only, they will probably have the little containers of luster dusts that sell for around $4-$5 each. More expensive than the Wilton brand, but in my experience, works a whole lot better than the Wilton. I agree with the OP about mixing the dust with vodka or a clear extract, makes it easier to cover the fondant than brushing it on dry. icon_biggrin.gif

MACakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks I will definitely try some of these options. Sounds like Global Sugar Art is popular by the users of this site. I hope their shipping to Canada isn't too painful. icon_biggrin.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #9 of 18

I am in Ontario Canada and I buy my lustre dust, satin ice, etc., from Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga. I live in Lindsay (near Peterborough), so I don't get to the actual store as often as I'd like, but it's a treat when I do. I have ordered on-line from there many times and have not had any problems.

Also, if you are on facebook, we have a small group going called Ontario Cake Girlz. If you haven't joined, please do!

MACakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #10 of 18

Thanks Tracy, I will drop into Golda's next trip to TO. I would love to join your facebook group. I love networking, so much to learn and share icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #11 of 18

When I first purchaced luster dust I chose wilton brand and now I will not buy it EVER! OK so the white is fine but the colored dusts from Wilton bug me to no end with streaky color spots! It's like the dye is not all the way mixed into the powder and when it gets moisture from the cake streaks form with every brush stroke. Even if I swirl the brush around to thouroughly mix the powder before applying. The streaking would be pretty cool if that is the 'look' you are going for then that is what you want if it is a color they make. As for me I will buy the tiny little clear pots of dust from my local supplier or on-line. I see a major difference in quality and finished product and I have only done a hand full of cakes! Just thought I would add this in here... any one else have this happen?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 18

I'd like to revive this thread. I'm about to make a two tiered cake covered in fondant with various fondant decorations. I want the whole thing to shimmer, from top to bottom. I don't want colored shimmer, just a pearly shimmer that won't affect the color of the fondant underneath.

My assumption is that I just need to use a soft brush to dust the whole thing with pearl lustre dust. But my experience with brushing large flat areas with lustre dusts has not been good. When I've done it before, it appears uneven and blotchy, no matter how much I go over it.

I want an even, overall coverage that looks like the cake is shimmering, not like it's been sloppily brushed with something that shimmers. And I don't want to paint the whole thing.

Am I having the same problem as Sadsmile in that I'm just using the wrong brand? Help!

This is the look I want...
LL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #13 of 18

I'm also interested to know.

I've tried using the silver or was it pearl Crystal Colors to dust on green. It gave it a shine but you can still see the base color.

I want to know how others do it as well.

sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #14 of 18

If the whole cake is to shine then air brushing is the way to go with pearl. They do sell it in spray cans but is always on back order. I have yet to get my hands on a can..LOL So I can't tell you how well it works.

Win Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I'd like to revive this thread. I'm about to make a two tiered cake covered in fondant with various fondant decorations. I want the whole thing to shimmer, from top to bottom. I don't want colored shimmer, just a pearly shimmer that won't affect the color of the fondant underneath.

I want an even, overall coverage that looks like the cake is shimmering, not like it's been sloppily brushed with something that shimmers. And I don't want to paint the whole thing.

Artscallion: The cake you show was most likely sprayed with an airbrush, luster dust and vodka mix. That's how the overall cake does not look as if it has any "strokes." If you have an airbrush - you are set!

Another wonderful color in pearl/luster dusts to try for that shimmery look is Antique Silk Luster Dust
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19499

sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #16 of 18

Oh I so agree about Antique Silk being a great neutral shimmer! I used nearly half of a tiny pot on my hatbox cake...LOL It was on the cream and blue and it was wonderful! When I first dusted my hatbox I was careful to go in even strokes. but by the time it soaked into my fresh fondant and it didn't matter cause it all looked even. Not sure why but it was like magic. The cake fairy must have been hovering.

Heidicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heidicakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #17 of 18

I agree that airbrushing is the way to go. I haven't used pearl before, but I have used silver for a disco ball. The liquid made for airbrushes is great. No need to worry about the vodka/dust ratio. Just make sure you shake well and continue to agitate between sprays.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:05am
post #18 of 18

Thanks everyone. Though I was disappointed to hear the word airbrush. I've used them in the past in school and hated it! They're so much trouble...and expensive!!

Fortunately, the aerosol one was in stock, sadsmile!! So I ordered it. I'll let you know how it works. I also bought some super pearl and antique silk while I was at it, just in case.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%