CookiezNCupcakez Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 16

Is there a tutorial or something??
Thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 16

Are you sure you want to do these out of fondant? The carnations I've seen have all had thin petals on them, like they were made of gumpaste.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 16

I make mine the same way I do fabric fondant roses. Just roll really thin (pasta machine is really helpful) Cut a strip about 4-6 inches long by 1/1/2 inches wide (for carnations). For roses I fold the fondant over and the edge of the fold is the petal tips. For carnations I just use a strip of fondant, raw edge, not folded. Wet a toothpick and start wrapping it around. Wrap, fold at base, and smush at the base, then wrap, fold, smush the rest. I dont know if this makes any sense, but that's how I do it. Then gently pull it off the toothpick and let dry. There's a pic of my sandwich cake and it has a red carnation next to a fabric fondant rose. I actually think I used gumpaste for that one. I hope this helps.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 16

tinygoose, your carnation is beautiful and this sounds much easier than using the cutters. I think I am going to make some to use as filler for my rose and gerbera wedding cake. Thanks!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

tinygoose, your carnation is beautiful and this sounds much easier than using the cutters. I think I am going to make some to use as filler for my rose and gerbera wedding cake. Thanks!

Thank you so much mbt. They aren't nearly as perfect as the cutter ones I've seen, but they work great if you need some quick flowers.

(all4cake, thank you for the nice photo comment. you brightened my day icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 16

I had to scroll down to read that it was cake. I thought it was a gumpaste teacup...gorgeous!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 16

I used fondant mixed with gumpaste for my carnations. I learned how to make them when I took the wilton cake decorating class and they were some of the easiest we learned to make. You can buy the books for the class without taking the class at AC Moore or Michaels. The only problem is that I did them in advance and because the fondant/gumpaste was so thin, they were very brittle and some cracked when I put them on the bouquet.

tinygoose Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I had to scroll down to read that it was cake. I thought it was a gumpaste teacup...gorgeous!

Wow! Thank you!

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa2007

I used fondant mixed with gumpaste for my carnations. I learned how to make them when I took the wilton cake decorating class and they were some of the easiest we learned to make.

SweetMelissa, did you use the carnation cutters? I think they would be a nice addition to my cake, but I don't have time to order anything else.

Thanks,
Martha

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 16

They use the round cutters for the Wilton class carnations...but pretty much the same technique as in the link I shared above. If you want a tattered look, take little nips out of the edges before thinning/frilling the petal area.

mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks, all4cake. I have round cutters ... I think this is the method that Michele Foster uses in her DVD. I need to watch it again ... and Nick's roses, Jen's pearls, Sharon's buttercream .... I wonder if the bride would postpone the wedding for a month or two. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 16

Oh, my word! You've got all that expertise at your fingertips???? One of these days, I'm going to break down and buy me a dvd that I'll watch over and over again(sure would beat some of the movies we've bought in the past!)

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 16

Hi MBT, I did use the circle cutters with the fondant/gumpaste rolled out very thin and then used the leaf veiner around the whole circle on top of thethick pad that comes with the fondant working kit. I kept going around the circle until it got that tattered look and the edges got a little frilly (they stuck up in some spots and down in others). Then I let them dry. Hope this helps.

mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa2007

Hi MBT, I did use the circle cutters with the fondant/gumpaste rolled out very thin and then used the leaf veiner around the whole circle on top of thethick pad that comes with the fondant working kit. I kept going around the circle until it got that tattered look and the edges got a little frilly (they stuck up in some spots and down in others). Then I let them dry. Hope this helps.

I am definitely going to give them a try. I can't find my rose leaf cutters, so I will be ordering new ones tomorrow. Maybe I'll go ahead and look at the carnation cutters in case I can't do them with the circles. I just think they would look really good with my other flowers.

Thanks again.
Martha

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #16 of 16

I didn't read the above posts, but you can do then using a round cutter and a toothpick. Just cut the fondant out then spread some powdered sugar on the counter. Then with the toothpick use the taper part of it and roll the fondant til it is thin and starting to almost crack like a carnation. Then fold and fold again. Do a couple of more and smoosh together. let dry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%