Cake Freezing Issue--Party Cancelled Until Next Week.

Decorating By cakedoll Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm by cakedoll

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 5

OK...so I made this birthday cake for a party at 2:00 p.m. today. The party just got cancelled until next Saturday or Sunday.

They still want the cake and want to freeze it until next week. It's the Marilyn Monroe cake in my photos.

How badly is the condensation going to affect the black on the FBCT? Is there a way this cake can be frozen with a minimal amount of damage to the image?

I'm getting this mental picture of a leaking, running cake wreck in my head. Help!

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 5

If the blk was made at least a few hours before using it should not be a big problem.
If the customer agreed to having the cake fzn then they agree to whatever happens to it.
If you put the cake in a cakebox; wrap that in a plastic bag and seal it there should not be a problem.....let it thaw (best in frig overnight, then to room temp *still wrapped* in plastic). Once it comes to room temp (time depends on size) when unwrapped it should be as good as new icon_smile.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with cakeladi--refrigeration for overnight or a day before the party is really important. I skipped this step once (straight from freezer to counter) and had horrible condensation. Refrigerator makes a huge difference! It'll be fine. :O) --

Really, the right thing to do on their part would have been to pick it up anyway and freeze it themselves.... you are nice to offer that.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 5

I have had to freeze FBCT for up to a week and had no, repeat none, issues with the black running upon thawing. I think you are completely safe and safer by going with all the protective measures kakeladi has outlined.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I made the black and grays up about an hour and a half before applying the image and then let that sit, settle and crust for about an hour before freezing it. Hopefully everything will be all right.

These are super nice people and friends on top of that so they didn't cancel on a whim. I just wanted to make sure that I could safely freeze it without turning it into a runny mess.

I was about ready to give this one away and start fresh for next weekend! My SIL was all set to run off with it and dig in! icon_lol.gif

I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%