I Woke Up And It Looked Like This....

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm by sadsmile

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 31

What happened to my beautiful cake? It looks like granny's skin! It was for my niece in lieu of a Birthday present and it's still pretty (I think anyway) but it was stunning before. Now it's a wrinkly old lady!

What can I do? Anything? Or just let it go? How do I avoid this in the future?

I used mmf and Kineret whipped topping (sort of like bettercream). It really was pretty last night. See...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341355&done=1
LL

30 replies
jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 31

I don't know why it happened but I think it's gorgeous, really cute and I think you should be proud of it. I hope someone can help with the more technical issue for future reference.

I'm sure everyone will love it!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 31

Here's a bump - I'm sure you will get some great input today. I don't do fondant and JUST got my first shipment of Bettercreme, so I can't help but I have read that you cannot put fondant on top of Bettercreme. That might be the problem here.

BTW ... I think your cake is gorgeous ... if that helps at all. icon_smile.gif

Martha

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 31

Could it be the whipped topping?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 31

The difference between the two pictures is amazing! I do remember someone saying not to use Bettercreme under fondant.

It's still gorgeous!

robin5568 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin5568 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 31

I'm going to take a stab at this from the technical point of view. "Whipped" cream implies there is a lot of air. I think that with a little time and the weight of the fondant you pushed the air pockets out leaving lines and groves.[/u]

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 31

Live and learn... I had no idea you couldn't put fondant on top of bettercream. This was the first time I tried...

If someone can confirm that, I'd be thankful although... I'm not sure I'd ever take the chance again...

robin5568 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin5568 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 31

I always use buttercream under fondant, not a lot but a nice thin coating. I really think your issue is with the air from the whipped cream, also whipped cream is much more delicate therefore more prone to collapsing than buttercream would be.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 31

i had a cake that did that when i put a whipped cream frosting underneath. yeah, definitely not a good combo especially with MMF. even with other kinds of fondant it still makes it sag. had to learn the hard way....i even did it TWICE. LOL

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin5568

I always use buttercream under fondant

I was referring to Bettercreme, which is a whipped non-dairy icing. Buttercream under fondant --- thumbs_up.gif

JBCakesCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBCakesCo Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 31

How thick of a layer of icing did you put on before the fondant? I also put no more than a crumb coat then set the icing on top. Do you think maybe the icing underneath started melting or did you keep it in the fridge?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 31

Unfortunately, I have read many times on the forums that you cannot place fondant on top of BETTERCREME. The results will be exactly what happened to yours. It is a gorgeous cake and I know you must be disappointed. I'm so sorry. It is still beautiful though.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 31

I, too, think it is probably the whipped topping. icon_sad.gif You did a beautiful job and I'm sure she'll love it. thumbs_up.gif I know you're disappointed but you know what they say about "Live & learn", or "Learn from your experiences". icon_rolleyes.gif Most people won't have a clue - they'll probably think you did it on purpose - like a new style. icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif Enjoy yourself and have a great day with your niece! icon_wink.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 31

It's still a beautiful cake if that makes you feel any better!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 31

The problem is the bettercream under the fondant. I had the same thing happen to me. The cake is still very pretty.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 31

Stacey it is still pretty and your neice will love it.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 31

It's definately the Bettercream....it contains moisture, which we all know what happens when fondant gets "wet". Sorry this happened. Your cake is beautiful and I'm sure she'll love it nonetheless.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 31

Yup.. it was the Bettercream for sure. You can't use whipped icings under fondant. Like Vicki said, the moisture makes your fondant turn into a gooey mess. If you want an icing with the texture of bettercream, that holds up under, and won't ruin your fondant try a meringue buttercream like SMBC. icon_smile.gif

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #19 of 31

I just wanted to say that I agree with everyone else, your cake is still really pretty and I'm sure it's super yummy too ~ It was made with love so she'll love it anyway!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #20 of 31

I wish my cakes looked that good when I started!!! I think the wrinkles give it nice effect. I'm sure she won't notice if you don't tell her.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #21 of 31

I have to tell you all that I often use filling with wipped cream under fondant, and also as a crumb coat. The trick is to use a very good quality fondant and to let the whipped filling 'breathe' in the fridge for at least 4 hours before covering. I don't know about MMF since I have never tried this.
In fact any kind of filling with cream, cream cheese or mascarpone has to breathe so as not to make the fondant crumble or 'sweat'.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #22 of 31

Just echo'ing... Bettercreme disintegrates fondant. Sorry this happened! icon_sad.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #23 of 31

Bettercream is to soft for using underneath the fondant..Im sorry this happened!
Edna

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #24 of 31

I'm glad I read this post. I just found Bettercream and really enjoy it.

I have a similar question....Can you fill a fondant covered cake with BetterCream, use a stiff dam and then crumb coat in buttercream? Or will it as a filling still cause that granny skin?

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #25 of 31

I use bettercream as filling all the time with no problem.. Is using it for covering a cake with fondant when it starts to create problems. But as an icng by itself is good. All you have to know is that is a softer icing and it wont crust.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #26 of 31

I think this is still a gorgeous cake! This may be a silly question but what is "bettercream" and can you get it in Canada?

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #27 of 31

Bettercream is almost like whipped cream, but is non dairy. Im not from Canada, so maybe someone else can help you with that part.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #28 of 31

Im sorry this happened too, its a really pretty cake even with the little wrinkles!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #29 of 31

The cake looks great, sorry for the issues...

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #30 of 31

shill the cake was lovely,but you already know what NOT to do next time anyway

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%