Anyone From Oregon?

Business By pinknlee Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 7:20pm by JoAnnB

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 6

I need some help, I can't find any rules or regulations for Oregon! Help! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:24am
post #2 of 6

Hiya! Where are you at? (Salem, here)

The dept you're looking for is the Dept of Agriculture, believe it or not. The food safety stuff through the Health Dept is close, but if you're looking for non-legislative info regarding home bakeries, Agriculture's where to go.

Domestic (primary) kitchen bakeries and second-kitchen bakeries are treated differently. The relevant laws are in ORS 625 and OAR 603-021; you can get to these through the state site. (Going from memory - I'm away from my bookmarks.)

I don't think that a food handlers license is required, but a pre-license inspection is required (they'll give you the license application during your inspection), and if you are going to build your kitchen, you need to submit blueprints (not applicable if it's an existing kitchen).

The laws are pretty easy; your licensing fee is $75 annually for under $1k or $5k. However, I cannot stress this enough - **Check out your city/county's legislation on home businesses!** Marion County wants $2k a year for home-based businesses with very few exceptions. (My henna business is exempt; a cake business would not be).

Good luck!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 6

Pinknlee - I am in Salem. I had a "domestic bakery" licensed by the Department of Agriculture, now I have a commercial kitchen in my garage.

It is fairly easy to get the bakery license. You need separate refrigeration and storage - a small frige big enough to hold milk,eggs etc) and a marked cabinet is sufficient. You will also need a dish rack (you cannot towel dry your equipment) and single use towels-like paper towles.

You are not permitted to have pets on the premisis at all.

If you have a well, you have to have the water tested every year.

Let me know if I can help. Feel free to call me. My business is listed in the Salem directory under Gourmet by Design, and I am available most evenings.


pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 6


Thanks fro all your great suggestions and ideas. I finally found some of the infomation I am looking for. Next, it trying to figure out if this sort of thing is possible from my house.

I am in Lincoln City.

Do you know if there are any good cake supply or I guess bakery supply places in Salem? I go there probably once a month.

Thank you again,
Pink icon_cool.gif

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 12:31am
post #5 of 6

I don't know of anything here - I moved here just a few months ago; JoAnn might be of more help there. On the other hand, though, in the Portland area is the Decorette Shop. They've got a store in Tigard and one in the SE Stark area, and they're pretty good. I've been happy with them.


JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 6

There is a store in Salem called Captain Albert's Good things. They are two terrific women who stock lots of cake decorating stuff. I visit often.

The Decorette has a terrific selection (in Portland) but some of their prices are much higher that Captn Alberts.

let me know if I can help.


Quote by @%username% on %date%