Have To Say It - I Hate Dh Cake Mixes

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm by luvsfreebies72

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 24

I had to break down and use a DH cake mix tonight. It's all that wally-world had in white, so, even though I hate those cakes, I went ahead. Even though I floured and greased my pans (the 4H way) the cakes both tried to stick inside. And, just like always, the cakes started falling apart when I moved them.

Am I the only one who has no luck with DH cakes? icon_sad.gif

23 replies
Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #2 of 24

I've used them and I don't think I've ever had a problem with it sticking or falling apart.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #3 of 24

How long did you allow the cakes to cool in the pans before removing them to a cooling rack? If left longer than 10 mins., the flour/grease hardens and acts like "glue".

Also, if you don't flip the cakes twice, so that they're "right" or "dome side" up on the cooling racks, they will crack (as nothing is supported BUT the crown/dome).

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

HTH

P.S. I've used all the major cake mix brands, and now prefer DH. But I've never experienced the problems you're having.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 24

Same I use it for all mine ,,,, Never have a problem . Give it time to cool but not to much time . Plus about falling apart maybe add a 1/3 cup or around 4 - 6 oz of sourcream to the batter maybe an extra egg and a Tlbs. of corn syrup , that will give it some texture but not to much where anyone woulld notice .Keep trying I love DH I used to use BC and still do but DH seems more light and fluffy { moist } I like it but this is me everyone has theier own go to . Goodluck . Wasc is nice to . It won't fall apart on you . icon_biggrin.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 24

Everybody has their preferences, but I like Duncan Hines better than Pillsbury or Betty Crocker either one. I've never had the problems that so many people complain about.

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #6 of 24

I just made the Amazing Chocolate WASC (which was amazing!) using DH, and one of my cakes stuck to the pan. I usually line my cake pans with parchment paper but forgot to do it this time. I usually use DH for my WASC when I make cupcakes and have no problem.

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #7 of 24

Oh my gosh sugarnspice! I am currently thinking/experiencing the SAME thing! I had to use a dh mix to make a cake, now those are turning into cake balls and I had to run out to get my trust old betty crocker! I was soo disappointed in the mix!
... but I may try some of the tricks suggested here from JanH!

itzjstmoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itzjstmoi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #8 of 24

The only problem I've had with them sticking is just recently with my first sheet cake, but I don't think I greased it thoroughly enough. Otherwise, I love them! They turn out super moist & everyone thinks they're homemade . . . keep trying, but if you find a better brand for you, then that's great too icon_smile.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:55am
post #9 of 24

As far as the sticking-in-the-pan goes, I always just spray liberally with Baker's Joy and I have never had one to stick. And I leave them in the pan for a long time sometimes.

sernajon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sernajon Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:13am
post #10 of 24

i always put parchement paper at the bottom of the pan, and then spray with bakers joy. then i also let the cake completely cool before turning it over...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 24

I'm just not a fan of cake mixes, period. Occassionally, I'll use a doctored recipe and they are much better than just the regular mix.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 24

I'm so anti DH chocolate.. lol.. It tastes good, but it rises so much and it's so fluffy it's difficult to work with.. I think it's great for cup cakes, but not for carving thats for sure!! imho... icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #13 of 24

DH is the only mix I will use. I have never had an issue like this. Though I have alwasy doctored these mixes with extra fat.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #14 of 24

I always use DH because they are usually cheapest..lol...I've never had a problem with the mix.

Having said that, here are some things I do.

I usually add 1 extra egg to the mix, as well as 1/2 a package of the big pudding mix(match with the cake flavor...vanilla pudding w/vanilla cake mix)
This makes the cake more dense. I also apply a very generous amount of shortening in the pan, and then flour. I have NEVER had a DH cake stick to the pan. Like the previous posts, only leave it in there to cool for 10 minutes, then flip it onto a rack or something.
*I've never heard of it having to be right side up when cooling. I almost never do that, and mine turn out fine. But maybe I've just been lucky!!Or maybe it's b/c I freeze my cakes.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #15 of 24

I always doctor the mixes, but I have tried every single one out there, and I have never had a problem with the brand names. But don't get me started on Dr. Oetker (or whatever). I liberally lube my pans, and put parchment on the bottom. I've had one too many stick in the past.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:23am
post #16 of 24

Sorry to get you started, but what in the world is dr. oetker? Is it like DH or BC??

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #17 of 24

I doctor my mixes when I use them...always use Duncan Hines, actually have had other brands fall apart on me.

Customers love the doctored Duncan Hines. I do some scratch too. The doctored mixes I find are great for kids cakes, as kids particularly seem to love the box mix consistency.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #18 of 24

I only use DH & I've never had a problem with them.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:26am
post #19 of 24

I doctor all my mixes or make from scratch (like each for different reasons, different uses). I usually use DH, except for the white (I use BC). The flavor of the white changed a while back, and I can't stand it.

I haven't had any sticking problems. I use homemade pan release (equal measures of flour, oil and shortening).

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry to get you started, but what in the world is dr. oetker? Is it like DH or BC??

Dr Oetker is a name brand. Here in the UK you find it on baking mixes, baking ingredients, and some dairy products (like yogurt). I believe that it is an international company, but don't remember ever seeing its products in the US.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #20 of 24

Until I started using the doctored versions(WASC, etc.) I would eliminate the oil and reduce the eggs by one. Works beautifully every time. Rises better and is a little more dense.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:51am
post #21 of 24

I've never had a problem with DH cake mixes.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:56am
post #22 of 24

I always level mine before turning them out to cool. So no dome issues for me.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 24

I've never had a problem with DH. Sure ended up with a lot of cake scraps using Pillsbury though. I've only used Betty Crocker once and it turned out all right.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #24 of 24

I'm not brand-loyal at all. They all seem to be the same to me...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%