Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

Lurkers, come on out!
Regulars, check in!

44 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 45

No weddings for me this week, only one baby shower cake, picked up this morning. I must cake vicariously thru you tonight.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 45

I could be decorating my course 2 final cake (was sick last night of class and haven't done it yet) or baking 4 dozen cupcakes ( for crochet club) but instead I'm watching Lost at the moment icon_lol.gif I might get to work later though

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 45

Wow...no one doing anything?? I've got a groom's cake iced and waiting on "drizzel" and a wedding cake waiting to be iced. AND I'm about to pull my hair out! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 45

I'm watching a rerun of Say Yes to the Dress. But next Saturday I have three wedding cakes, so I'll be working hard.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 45

I finished an island getaway cake today (in my pics), and it was picked up at 4:00 so I'm done for the night. I'm here with a cup of tea and my feet up!

I'm going to Florida for a week, so I had to prep everything this week that I'll need to have done for next Friday and Saturday. I have gumpaste pieces all over the place.

My flight leaves at 5:40 AM (shouldn't that be against the law?), so I'm not long for this thread!!

bamber127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamber127 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 45

I always look at these every week but never really am baking on a Friday night :S. Buuut not tonight.... I am baking cake for a baby shower and a birthday cake.. then have to cover dummies for wedding centerpieces :S. So sick of fondant right now that I Kinda feel like throwing it at something ha ha!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #8 of 45

I just finished a baby shower cake for a very close friend. It wasn't what I originally planned, but that seems to happen to me, as I decorate the design kind of evolves as I go! It has less the is more thing going on. Although the carriage on the top certainly wasn't less, that thing took forever! The cake part is yummy, chocolate chip white cake with chocolate SMBC. I'm downloading the photos now.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 45

I read the Friday Night Cake Club on Fridays too, but, usually have all my cakes baked by Thursday. In fact, I have a wedding cake AND a groom's cake for tomorrow....both DONE! TA DA! Well, I still have to put the truffles on the groom's cake and the florist is going to put the flowers on the wedding cake tomorrow. But, baking and decorating complete and they are already at the venue (my church). So, I'm kicked back with a cup of tea too!

Beth in KY

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #10 of 45

I'm not baking either, I just put my 2 year old to bed and am now chilling with my father in law watching TV

Ruth - where in Florida are you going to be??

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 45

Wedding cake ready to go (50 mile trip one way) 3 birthday cakes ready to go and just when I thought it was safe to clean up the kitchen moved the order pad and out fell the last minute baby shower cake that I forgot about.
ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH. Told my DD's Boyfriend that I could just cry...but I wouldn't. Just put it in the oven get up an hour early and get busy.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #12 of 45

I'm going to Port St. Lucie. I've never been to Florida before. It snowed here today in Idaho, so it'll be fun to be in warm tropical weather. My husband is there working, so I'm just going to hang out at the pool/beach for a few days.

leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #13 of 45

Oh linda, that's where I was last night. We had new wood floors put in the first floor of our house (ripped out the wall to wall carpet) so I didn't start baking until 7:30 last night and was totally exhausted. After the cake cooled, I realized that it was the right flavor but too small. So since the customer had given me some leeway, I added a second small tier on top and moved on. Actually got to bed by 11:30 after the last minute baking and complete decorating. Cake left just before 9 am this morning.

Go lind-a, go lind-a You can do it!

leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #14 of 45

So, no one needs anything? No problems to solve? We can't put the collective CC brainpower to use?

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #15 of 45

just a veg-out day today. I have a cake to do in the morning another monster truck. But next week I will not see he light of day. I have 5 cakes and 8 desserts and a special order for a restaurant for Easter Dinners
200 individual cakes decorated. I still havent thought of a design.I was thinking of wasc with raspberry fillling.maybe a cakeball chick setting ontop.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #16 of 45

Oh Ruth - you are going to have SO MUCH FUN!! It is so pretty here right now - it is supposed to rain here on Monday and Tuesday - but it will still be a lot of fun!!

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #17 of 45

normally I am a lurker lol.. I usually try to get my cakes done by Thursday so I can finish my last minutes on Friday. However, I had a couple of cakes due for Sunday that require a great deal of sugar work and wouldn't you know it just when I safely think everything is under control I have a number of family members email and call me to remind me that I was to bring a baby shower cake for my youngest sister's party TOMORROW! I agreed over a month ago to supplying the cake since I knew I would not have the time to decorate or do the invitation thing etc. but since I had not heard anything definitive on the date and time of the shower I was assuming they made other plans. I didn't even get an invite but I have had several of the invited guests making comments on how family had boasted that I would be supplying a cake and be there! I don't want to hurt my sister or have bad feelings since she was not the party planner so I am busting something out but grrrr. It is so irritating. My DH keeps telling me to calm down so that I don't make a scene when it comes time to deliver the cake. .... So I am rage baking tonite lol.. It's going to be a LOOONG Night. icon_smile.gif So I will be here in the shadows between cakes and decoration.

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:50am
post #18 of 45

I'm taking a break...Been baking since 5:45 here. And I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere. I've got all my cakes baked and all are cooled. The bottom of the wedding cake is cut down to size (didn't have the right size pan) and NOT iced. Just don't feel like making the icing..and I'm waiting for the butter to soften <icon_smile.gif. The top is just sitting there too. It's gonna have a cream cheese and Strawberry fill. AGAIN dont feel like making it icon_biggrin.gif. The grooms cake is DONE!!! Got the drizzels on it and it looks pretty good. OF COURSE NOT what I imagined but looks good. Most of the Dipped Strawberries are done. Haven't gotten to the Tuxedo ones though.

Just had to "STEP AWAY!" for a min. Need to get back in there though. It's almost 11 here. and still alot a head of me.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #19 of 45

Hi Everyone,
Just doing some research on the center tier construction. My aunt asked me to do my cousin's cake again and sent me a picture of a 2 tier cake with "Cars" all over it. From what the picture looks like I can use the same construction method from the Tinkerbell cake from the wilton yearbook, but this is a new thing for me and although I have a month...I would like to know what I am doing before I attempt it.
Anyone have any tips or interesting tidbits?
thanks
Shannie

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #20 of 45

Just finished Icing a wedding cake for tomorrow. It's an easy one, the bride wanted it decorated with Whole strawberries which I will put on at the venue when I deliver the cake.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:04am
post #21 of 45

I just got finished doing a cake for my nephew's birthday on Sunday. Can you believe he's turning 10 and wanted a tiramisu cake? And that I was given notice at noon today to make the cake for a Saturday delivery? And that it's for free (I do all family cakes for free as long as they're my design). So now, I'm sitting on the futon, watching Rachel, drinking beer and cruisin CC. Oh, and I was almost crying earlier - I hate DunkinHines cakes, and that is all that WM had today. GRRRR.

I'll post the cake in my pics tomorrow - it's a frog cake, covered in grass, with GP cattails, fondant lily pads, RI lily pad flowers (actually, leftover mums from course 2), a pile of fondant rocks, and a (storebought plastic) frog on a blue piping gel pond. I really hope he likes it!

Shannie - if you have SPS (look on the How Do I forum, sticky at the top) use that. Otherwise, I made the tinkerbell cake last month, and the instructions in the wilton book are right on. What do you have for supports? Wooden dowels, plastic dowels, or drinking straws? And is your top tier on a cardboard or hard board?

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #22 of 45

well I was supposed to be working on a really elaborate hot tub cake for a friends party tomorrow. But since I've been avoided all week and I'm assuming that means I'm no longer invited to said party I said screw it and am chilling with spaghetti and a movie instead. No party...no cakie! icon_smile.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #23 of 45

Sugar, I normally use wooden dowels for my cakes only because I tend to make them more than 2 tiers..I kinda go a little overboard for family but it is fun. I am heading to Michael's tomorrow to take a look at the plastic to see if it is feasible for me to do. And I tend to put just a thin cardboard between the layers. Should be fun shopping tomorrow =)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #24 of 45

Just finished a monogrammed cake for my son's 1st b-day tomorrow. Yay! Going to Picnik the heck outta that picture now. I must say, I love monograms now. So fun!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #25 of 45

I just watched the last episode of ER icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

should I go bake those cupcakes now? hmm...

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:56am
post #26 of 45

Is anyone still awake? I just posted a new thread...too upset to think of fncc first. Anyway, I was almost finished with my 3D megaphone cake, put it in the fridge b/c I needed it to crust up quick(I've got 2 other cakes going too). All I had left was smoothing the 2 ends, hubby opens the fridge....One of the ends fell off...completely cumbled to bits. Tried to fix it, didn't work. So now I guess I have to piece together some scraps I carved off, and hope they stay up during delivery. I really can't spend a ton more time on it, I still have 1 whole cake to do, it hasn't even been iced yet. Also another need the finishing fondant accents. Guess I'll be up for a while fixing it..plus up early tomorrow finishing the other 2. icon_cry.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:08am
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

Is anyone still awake? I just posted a new thread...too upset to think of fncc first. Anyway, I was almost finished with my 3D megaphone cake, put it in the fridge b/c I needed it to crust up quick(I've got 2 other cakes going too). All I had left was smoothing the 2 ends, hubby opens the fridge....One of the ends fell off...completely cumbled to bits. Tried to fix it, didn't work. So now I guess I have to piece together some scraps I carved off, and hope they stay up during delivery. I really can't spend a ton more time on it, I still have 1 whole cake to do, it hasn't even been iced yet. Also another need the finishing fondant accents. Guess I'll be up for a while fixing it..plus up early tomorrow finishing the other 2. icon_cry.gif

Oh wow...im so sorry!
Edna

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

So, no one needs anything? No problems to solve? We can't put the collective CC brainpower to use?

I love this!.. icon_lol.gif ..can you come make my cakes so I can take a vacation...lol..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:15am
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

oh man... if i lived by ya i would drive on over and put a pot of coffee on and help ya. in the immortal words of Tim Gunn "make it work!'

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:22am
post #30 of 45

Hi everyone! Ive never really posted on here but thought i would tonight since it was such a busy night! I have a birthday and a shower this weekend... tonight i finished up the birthday (princess) and started the shower, but my chocolate cake fell apart!!!! icon_cry.gif so lucky its not till Sunday, but now i have to rebake, and carve by tomorrow night... lol sry but thanks for the vent!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%