Frosting Sheets

Decorating By MJ1900 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm by butternut

MJ1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ1900 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 11

So I took the plunge and ordered frosting sheets and edible ink from KopyKakes. Bought a new Epson printer and made an MLB cake for my son's bday. It turned out great. My question is: I've read that the frosting sheets are thin and hard to remove from the backing. I think I may have done something wrong. The sheets kept coming off the backing before I placed them in the printer and did not seem thin. I put what I thought was the frosting sheet into the printer without the backing. Was there another layer that I was suppose to remove?? I would like to do edible image cookies but want to make sure i'm doing it correctly. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 11

There should be a glossy paper layer on the back of the frosting sheet. If they don't come off freely place it in the freezer for a few seconds and it will pop right off. If you didn't have a paper layer loose in the package it had to be on the back of the frosting sheet.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 11

I use KopyKake sheets too and they are thin and can be a problem in the summer humidity. That said, there is only 1 backing sheet, so if you removed it, all that is left is the edible sheet. But why remove the backing before loading it in the printer? I leave it on the remove right before I place on the cookie or cake. (in the humidity, I pop the sheet in the freezer for a few seconds and then it comes right off)

MJ1900 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for answering, Tiggy2.

There was a glossy 8.5 x 11 sheet between each "frosting sheet" but it wouldn't stay connected to go through the printer so I just put the sheet through, cut them to size and attached that to the cake. Is that right?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 11

That is correct. I'm glad to know they will feed through the printer without the backing sheet icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 11

You are lucky the printer didn't 'eat' your sheet! I had one that gummed up the printer sooooo bad icon_sad.gif
Those FSs are either stuck to the backing and won't come off w/o breaking or they don't stick to it icon_sad.gif I wish they would figure out a way to solve that!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 11

I bought mine over 2mos ago, edible inks, had printer over 1yr in a box new...and also got frosting sheets. Took one out and there was a plastic sheet that was just there. I ASSUMED it was the seperator sheets that is between each sheet??? I could be wrong.

I took the frosting sheet out, am scared so havent set up my printer yet...took me 1yr to use my new airbrush recently. so I traced a pic on the frosting sheet...went ok...but couldnt see through it like I was told I would be able to. Then it dried out!!! and cracked. I didnt see another sheet to pull off the back?

Now you know why I havent touched them again, am lost.

MJ1900 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 11

Believe me!! It took a few runs before I figured it out. The worst was that I was copying from a poster. Lining up the logos so there wasn't so much waste was difficult. If I figured this out correctly, the backing sheet is 8.5 x 11. The smaller frosting sheet sits on top of it. Right???

2txmedics, I agree. I have to work up the courage every time I take on one of these new techniques. Haven't bought an airbrush yet but it's definitely on my wishlist!

Thanks so much for your help everyone. My friends all think I'm bonkers taking on these projects so there's no one around to ask for help.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1900

Believe me!! It took a few runs before I figured it out. The worst was that I was copying from a poster. Lining up the logos so there wasn't so much waste was difficult. If I figured this out correctly, the backing sheet is 8.5 x 11. The smaller frosting sheet sits on top of it. Right???

2txmedics, I agree. I have to work up the courage every time I take on one of these new techniques. Haven't bought an airbrush yet but it's definitely on my wishlist!

Thanks so much for your help everyone. My friends all think I'm bonkers taking on these projects so there's no one around to ask for help.

Yes, the backing sheet is glossy and 8.5 x 11. The smaller frosting sheet sits on top of it. Place the frosting sheet with the backing still attached into your printer. When you are ready to remove the image to place on your cake, simply roll one of the corner edges of the sheet and it should loosen the image enough to be able to pull it right off. If it should become stubborn, just plop it into the freezer for about a minute and it should come right off. I've been using Kopykakes edible sheets for years and have never had a problem with them.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 11

the sheet needs to go on the cake asap, if you are not ready after you print out on the sheet, put it in a sealed plastic bag. that may be why it cracked and dried out.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 11

I inquired with Kopykake as to how long I could keep a printed edible image before placing it on the cake. I was told that as long as it was sealed properly and placed in a cool dark place, it would be just fine for months. I have in fact used them after months and they've been just fine. I was told that there is nothing in the ink or edible sheet that will spoil. However when you purchase one from a grocery store they do tell you to place it on the cake within a day. Can't figure that out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%