Wilton Meringue Powder As Egg White Substitute

Baking By sweetlayers Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm by Brownie1954

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 8

I have a quick question about the wilton meringue powder.

Does it require refridgeration the same way regular egg whites do in a meringue?

I will be making a pie with a meringue top and want to use the powder instead of wasting yolks.

Can you help me?

TIA-

7 replies
sweetlayers Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not sure. I've used merinque powder as a substitute for eggs in a cake, and left it sitting out for a day. It tasted fine when we ate it, but I don't know about it in a pie? Hopefully this will bump you up and someone else can help better!!
I would think it wouldn't need to be refridgerated, since it is powder and water!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 8

I use it in frosting always and I kee[ it in the cupboard.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 8

I don't think it would need to be refridgerated, since it is pasteurized egg whites. I found this info for you

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-meringue-powder.htm

sweetlayers Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks ladies.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 8

I thought I remembered reading that meringue powder doesn't work as a substitute for egg whites because of the added ingredients. I followed the link that lubfreebies72 posted (good source, by the way) and found this ... "it may be helpful to know that despite the name, meringue powder does not actually make very good meringue. You may want to experiment with meringue powder a bit before committing to it, because it can behave strangely in some recipes."

If you try it, be sure to let us know. I always have meringue powder on hand, but don't always have eggs to seperate. icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

Hello....
The can says that it just needs to sit in a cool, dry place, no refrigeration needed. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%