What Cant You Live Without?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm by foxymomma521

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 34

well on a recent trip to michaels and an overload of 50% off coupons i decided now is the time to stock up on the little things honestly im so frugal that when i go to stores and see a certain thing i automatically think hmm i wonder if i have something i can use instead of buying that. like the large frosting knifes or the cake splitters or the fondant presses all of those little things i seem to write off i wonder if they would be helping me, so in your opinion what is your cant live without basics?

33 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 34

If by "large frosting knives" you mean the long metal spatulas, those are something I CANNOT be without. There are a lot of little cake "extras" that are unnecessary, but that is a basic tool that I think NO cake decorator should be without. A good set of straight and offset spatulas (both large and mini sizes) and a nice metal bench scraper (even a large metal spackle knife from home depot) are ALWAYS in front me when doing a cake.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 34

A good sturdy whisk. and a rubber spatula

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 34

a bench scraper and a good rolling pin! (stay away from that Wilton large cake leveler and their tilting turntable!)

pebblez87 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 34

haha i looked at the tilting turn table and all i could think was how the hell does ur cake just not topple over the minute you tip it? I was looking at the leveler just because aparently i have an uneven hand icon_sad.gif the edges are great the middle of the cake ends up like a mountain range

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 34

I agree, stay away from the cake leveler, it does not work

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

If by "large frosting knives" you mean the long metal spatulas, those are something I CANNOT be without. There are a lot of little cake "extras" that are unnecessary, but that is a basic tool that I think NO cake decorator should be without. A good set of straight and offset spatulas (both large and mini sizes) and a nice metal bench scraper (even a large metal spackle knife from home depot) are ALWAYS in front me when doing a cake.

I 2nd this motion. I'm going to get myself a spackle knife and try that method for smoothing bc

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 34

I can't live without my Pampered Chef sugar shaker. It's perfect when I'm working with fondant. I also have to have my offset spatulas (no surprise there) and my bench knife (again, no surprise there).

I agree with pebblez87 - how the HELL to do you keep your cake from falling off of that thing?????

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 34

I can't do without my Fat Daddio's turn table, kitchenaid mixer and chefmaster food colors.

Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 34

I just recently got the cake leveler and it worked fine! I had a nice straight tort, unlike when I tried to do it myself with a knife. Maybe it depends on the type of cake? Mine was a nice dense one (WASC).

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 34

hmm i have a few things but mainly i definatley couldnt live without my non stick rolling mat.. as i dont to use cornflour or anything when rolling out icing i have in 3 different sizes hehe..

and my angled spatula... this i only got a few weeks ago and i dont know how i went all these years without one.. it is the bestest thing ever lol.

and then finally my airbrush loving it since i learnt how and got the confidence to start using it last year...

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 34

What comes out every time I do a cake? My Agbay leveler, angled spatula, bench scraper, rollers for the Melvira method icon_biggrin.gif , and my huge silicone rolling mat! thumbs_up.gif

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 34

What I can't do without is:

1) my vintage breadknife for leveling. It used to be my mom's from the '70's, and the blade is much longer and narrower than ones sold these days.

2) a little net bag I use to wash all the tips and couplers in the dishwasher.

3) mashed potatoes w/ real butter. Oh wait! That's for the what-I-can't-live-without-on-a-deserted-island thread. icon_lol.gif

I bought that tilting turntable a couple of years ago, and it actually works really well for me. The rubber surface keeps the cakeboard from sliding. I've done almost 50-60 cakes on it, some at quite an angle. I really like it! icon_smile.gif

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 34

The leveler works great for me. Theres no way i could get it level.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 34

I love the tilting turntable too and never had a cake slip off. the rubber on top holds the cake board in place

pebblez87 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #16 of 34

haha love the mashed potatos comment for a minute i thought u were being serious ive heard people using instant mash as a way of moisture anyway , i think i also have an old bread knife its at least as long as a ruler and extremely thin

thank you all for your comments i always just stand in the aisle thinking i wonder if all these things are useful and now im getting my answers

aggiechef Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #17 of 34

I'm going after work today with the 50% off coupon and a list for a wedding cake that I'm working on.

Oh boy, oh boy....I'm like a kid in a candy store.... icon_smile.gif

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariginal

hmm i have a few things but mainly i definatley couldnt live without my non stick rolling mat.. as i dont to use cornflour or anything when rolling out icing i have in 3 different sizes hehe..

I've seen those in videos, where can you get one?

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #19 of 34

I have the large wilton leveler and have never had a problem with it.

But I can't live w/out my:

1. Kitchenaid Mixer

2. Airbrush - my bestest friend

3. My Ateco silicone mat...best $40 i ever spent.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #20 of 34

I can't live without my:
Bench scraper
KitchenAid pasta (fondant) roller attachment
Ice cream scoop (for dishing cupcake batter or measuring shortening)
Magic Line pans
Americolors
Impression Mats
Sugarshack's DVD's
and of course, Cake Central!!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #21 of 34

I can't live without my:
Bench scraper
Magic Line pans
Americolors
Impression Mats
Sugarshack's DVD's

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenre

3. My Ateco silicone mat...best $40 i ever spent.

Just so I'm understanding correctly, with the silicon mat you don't have to use cornstarch or PS to roll out fondant? It won't stick? I'm curious & have possibly found another item that I cannot live w/out icon_cool.gif !

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #23 of 34

I can't live without:

1. KitchenAid Mixer!!!!!
2. Off-set spatulas (both large and small)
3. Scoops for cookies and cupcakes (those make life so much easier)
4. Hi-ratio shortening for icing

I also have the large Wilton leveler and the tilting turntable. The leveler is great - never a problem. The turntable is fine, too, but I don't really use it all that much.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 34

I have the turn table too and never had a problem, the leveler is another story. Worked the first few times, after that forget it, it was useless. Love my agbay.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #25 of 34

I can't live without:
(1) My KitchenAid Mixer
(2) 18" Turntable
(3) Viva paper towels
(4) My tip organizer
(5) Angled spatulas
(6) Parchment triangles

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #26 of 34

I also *love* the ateco fondant work mat. (sometimes I still use a little cornstarch when rolling out...especially the stickier colored fondants)

Bench scraper

FMM ribbon cutter

Sugar gun

Kitchen aid mixer

big rolling pin

What I would really like to have? The agbay, edible image printer, airbrush, time alone.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by becklynn

I can't live without my:
Bench scraper
Magic Line pans
Americolors

Sugarshack's DVD's

that is soooooooooo a given thumbs_up.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabow2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariginal

I've seen those in videos, where can you get one?

mine isnt a silicone one its not even one meant for cake decorating i think it was meant for quilters hehe.. but at a cake club when i first started in all this cool decorating things told us about them they are self mending ones green one side has the measurement squares on it. I got mine at a place called Warehouse Stationary here in nz... i have a small one for doing my flowers and any small stuff, another for the smaller cakes if no big ones involved and a larger one for my bigger cakes... there is a bigger one which i am working on getting next as sometimes my big one just isnt quite big enough... and i have just purchased but waiting to recieve a 50cm silicone non stick rolling pin.. woohoo might be my next cant live without as i use like a big piece of pipe at the mo hehe

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

Ooo That's a good one!

aggiechef Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #30 of 34

skichic68 wrote:

How do you get those bags to stay put in the dishwasher. I ended up getting something that's meant for washing baby bottles to wash my tips in. It's fabulous and I don't have to worry about it getting "lost" in my dishwasher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%