Using Real Flowers Like Roses Or Lillys

Decorating By ivnurse2001 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm by Cakepro

ivnurse2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivnurse2001 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 12

Wondering about using real flowers on wedding cakes and the dangers or techniques on doing so. any precautions to worry about. thanks for your help.

11 replies
paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 12

Yes definitely research, research, research...as far as I've heard roses are edible if you get ones that have been grown without pesticides. But as far as lillies go any that I can think of off the top of my head are extremely toxic.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 12

All parts of all lilies are poisonous.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #5 of 12

You can use oasis to place the flowers in to place on top and around your cake wilton also sells holders to put flowers in to place around the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Just remember that the lilly is usually the flower held by Lilly Munster, and that the lilly is the flower that was on the chest of the dead person in the old movies and old comedies.

Lillies are associated with death.
So put a lilly on a cake and you might kill someone! ( icon_lol.gif an exaggerated analogy, I'll admit, but it's an easy way to remember that you should not put lillies on a cake!)

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Just remember that the lilly is usually the flower held by Lilly Munster, and that the lilly is the flower that was on the chest of the dead person in the old movies and old comedies.

Lillies are associated with death.
So put a lilly on a cake and you might kill someone! ( icon_lol.gif an exaggerated analogy, I'll admit, but it's an easy way to remember that you should not put lillies on a cake!)

If only you knew how sad you just made me. Lilies are my favorite flower, and I hope to God I can look at them without your morbid words and mental images running around in my head. icon_cry.gif

icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #8 of 12

well...... Lily Munster WAS a comedy character, and she DID use them to make her look "pretty"! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #9 of 12

True dat! I used to think Lily Munster was so beautiful back when I was a wee girl watching that show in the 70's. icon_biggrin.gif

I do believe I will go buy a bunch of Stargazers and a few stems of some pink Oriental hybrids tomorrow and make sure my favorite flowers have not been tainted with the images of people in coffins! icon_surprised.gif LOL

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 12

cakepro, a little off subject, but I used to work in a casket manufacturing company. You should have seen all the caskets lined up in the shipping dept .... they'd be stood up like dominoes and I always had this big urge to knock the first one over to watch them all tumble! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I was in charge of all of our international orders, so when we'd get visitors from Europe, Asia and Japan, I'd be their tour guide for the day. They all wanted to visit American cemeteries and funeral homes.

Believe it or not, it was my most fun job!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 12

A quick search on google gave me this on lilies:

1. Lily: Symbolizes purity, chastity, and innocence. White lilies represent the purity of the Virgin Mary. The Angel Gabriel was often painted presenting Mary with a white lily when he announced to her that she would give birth to the Son of God.

2. Lily Flower Meanings

The lilies are loved for their bright colors and are often used for decoration purposes. Lily has been an important flower ever since the Biblical period. Like other flowers, lily too has different flower meanings. According to the Bible, petals of white lily signify virginity, purity and the radiant soul of Virgin Mary.

This notion of purity had been with the lily flower since the ancient days. The Chinese and the Greeks had linked white lily to purity. To the Chinese, the symbolic meaning of lily is summer and abundance. The lily flower meanings mainly symbolize the western deities. The Greeks believe that Lilies were born out of the breast milk of Goddess Hera, but the Romans give this honor to their Goddess Juno. Lily is also associated with the Roman Goddess Venus.
In modern days, the lily flower meanings have changed a lot. Today lilies symbolize feminine sexuality. If someone dreams of lilies, then it means that he/she is hoping for marriage, happiness and prosperity. In some cultures, calla lilies and tiger lilies stand for rise in social rank of the individual. A valley full of lilies stands for sweetness and the closeness of loved ones.

There are also other kinds of lily flower meanings. When one has dreams of lily in the winter then it symbolizes the approach of sad news. Such dreams indicate that there would be a departure of a dear one or frustrating times ahead. An orange Lily symbolizes hatred while a yellow Lily symbolizes falsity.

For more such interesting information on flower meanings, keep browsing the Dgreetings.com pages.

3. Some symbolic meanings of the lily are:

* Becoming
* Motherhood
* Renewal
* Birth
* Purity
* Remembrance
* Innocence
* Purity
* Passion
* Fertility
_______

So, it's perfectly fine for a wedding cake. Which is a good thing, since I just made one yesterday!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1341734.html

And they are extremely easy to make from gum paste. I've never used gum paste before and I made these lillies with no probem - very first one was fine. So, make lillies for cakes, don't put real ones on them unless in a special container that doesn't allow contact with the cake in any way.

Cakepro Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

cakepro, a little off subject, but I used to work in a casket manufacturing company. You should have seen all the caskets lined up in the shipping dept .... they'd be stood up like dominoes and I always had this big urge to knock the first one over to watch them all tumble! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I was in charge of all of our international orders, so when we'd get visitors from Europe, Asia and Japan, I'd be their tour guide for the day. They all wanted to visit American cemeteries and funeral homes.

Believe it or not, it was my most fun job!

Bwahahahahaha! OMG, how did you ever resist the urge to knock that first one over?

That sounds like a really interesting job! icon_biggrin.gif
--------------

Berryblondeboys, that was so wonderful for you to search for and post that information. Next Sunday our church will be filled with white Easter lily plants in full bloom ~ with hundreds of white lilies around and behind the altar ~ and I think it is even more beautiful than when it is filled with hundreds of poinsettias at Christmas. icon_smile.gif

And ya know, I am pretty sure the stained glass window depicting the Annunciation behind the altar does indeed have Gabriel presenting the Blessed Mother with a lily. I will look this evening. icon_smile.gif

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%