Shoe Box Lids

Decorating By jrule Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm by Win

jrule Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrule Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #1 of 9

I have seen so many awesome shoe box cakes on cc. Can any one tell me how they do the lids to the shoe box. I am not sure how to go about constructing them. Help please!!

8 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 9

I'll give you a "bump" up. I'd like to know also.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 9

I've only made one shoe cake so was making it up as I went along really!!

First I covered the entire cake with fondant.

Then I covered a thin cake board with more fondant with a little extra round the edges to make a side for the lid. I lay it on top of a cup until the sides dried then attached it to my cake with RI.

I'm sure others could tell you an easier/better way to do it but I was really happy with the result.

Hope that helps a little icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx
LL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 9

sugarshack has a new DVD "Boxes & Bows" that has step by step instructions for the lids and bows. Her website is sugaredproductions.com

jrule Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrule Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you ladies very much. It gave me some ideas to think about!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Lyndseyb52, I want to try that!

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 9

mine in my photos is a single layer cake covered with fondant, I covered the "box" completely with fondant, made the tissue paper and the put a dowel about 1 inch away from the front and sticking up form the cake about 1/2 to 1" and then put some RI glue on the back end of the cake and set the other cake "lid" on top.

LILBOBO1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILBOBO1980 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 9

I hope this is not a bad idea but I had the same question. I have a cake that have to do next week that involves lids and I would like for them to be nice and square.

I could not find any information on how they were doing their lids so I started brain storming. I plan on making mine out of rice crispy treats and covering them in chocolate and then fondant. I think that should give the sharp edges and support I need and yet still light. I have never worked with the rice crispy treats but I figure that you can mold it like you want it and then crush the rice crispies that are in the corner so that you can get a really sharp edge.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 9

There is also very detailed directions in the book: Confetti Cakes by Elisa Strauss.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%