Buttercream And Margerine Or Butter ???????'s

Decorating By kim62808 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 7:16am by leahk

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 10

Ok first 1 has anyone used the Wilton Buttercream mix { add milk and butter } and does this hold up well { crust a bit and dosen't run }

Ok second if a recipe says butter [ BUTTERCREAM } And I use margerine instead does this make a big difference ?

9 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 10

I've never used wiltons butter cream and I've never heard of anyone using margarine instead of butter or shortening in butter cream so I don't know how it will come out.
Someone may come in who can help with the wiltons.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 10

Haven't used the Wilton b/c mix, but you can certainly substitute margarine for butter (both 80% fat, 20% water).

However, making your own American b/c isn't difficult. Here's a thread that has several popular CC recipes for crusting American b/c, doctored cake mix (WASC) and fondant (AND SO MUCH MORE):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Here's the product info on the Wilton mix:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30E7F3-475A-BAC0-54264DD5366058D1&fid=3E32BCE2-475A-BAC0-5325F0CC91DF0E2E
(One mix only makes enough frosting to cover ONE 8" layer. So you'll need TWO boxes to frost an 8" layer cake!

HTH

P.S. My guess would be that this frosting would crust. (As opposed to Wilton's whipped frosting mix.)

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 10

I have never tried, but margerine has oil and water in it. That is going to make a difference in the texture. You will have to adjust the recipe.

I am a 100% butter girl. My buttercream is super easy. 2 sticks of butter, up to 4 cups powdered sugar, 2-3 teaspoons vanilla or other flavor, and heavy cream-till I get the consistency I want. It is soooo good! Simple and wonderful.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 10

Ok thank you ladies I will take all ur information into consideration ,,,,,, I have made my own BC for a while I just was looking for a easyway out here and there . I know I would not use that big tub of dec frosting from Wilton . I have used marg in a bc recipe once and my icing looked fine and had perfect consistencey{ but then when I added the paste and my hands warmed the baggy a bit o gosh it became alittle runny and the colors started to seperate. { wierd } Well our butter here only comes in blocks not sticks thats why I used that bonney bell or imperial stick but no more { ok thanks agian thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlegirl14

I have never tried, but margerine has oil and water in it. That is going to make a difference in the texture. You will have to adjust the recipe.

Margarine was created as a low cost substitute for butter. If it had very dissimilar baking or cooking properties it wouldn't be a very practical or marketable product.

Margarine is 80% fat and 20% water, butter is 80% fat and 20% water.

Differences between butter and margarine:

http://www.ochef.com/1154.htm

Just curious... How do you think margarine changes the texture in buttercream? What adjustments would you recommend when substituting margarine for butter in a buttercream recipe?

Lamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lamcakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:48am
post #7 of 10

I have always used margerine in my buttercream, along with crisco shortening sticks ( plain ones ). The consistancy is very smooth, and can be made to pretty much as stiff as you want depending on how much powdered sugar you add. or egg white powder if you use that to help. I do sometimes, but not all the time. But I have always made it this way and have tons of people who love it, who normally do not like buttercream frosting, or frosting in general. Its not a strong butter taste since I mix it with plain crisco. Ive never tried real butter, and will have to do that sometime. But I have no problems with it at all. it holds up really well, crust fine, even in Missouri where I live with our humidity.

Hope this helps to.

Laura

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:42am
post #8 of 10

Never ever ever use margarine if a recipe calls for butter. In fact, don't ever use margarine period. It's not food!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:54am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Never ever ever use margarine if a recipe calls for butter. In fact, don't ever use margarine period. It's not food!

LOL, amen, sister! icon_smile.gif

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:16am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Just curious... How do you think margarine changes the texture in buttercream? What adjustments would you recommend when substituting margarine for butter in a buttercream recipe?

I only bake non-dairy and have no access to shortening where I live. I have a LOT of experience swapping margarine for butter.
In ABC it doesn't make a difference, the results that I get are consistent with what everyone is describing.
In MBC it doesn't work! When I can actually get it to blend well, it isn't the nice silky consistancy that everyone raves about. Plus it has a very fatty feel to it. If I cover it with ganache then it's ok- but on it's own it's horrible.
I'm not that chemistry inclined to actually be able to figure out why this is, I can just tell you that this is my experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%