Beat But Not Broke, Yet

Decorating By underthesun Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 10:38am by underthesun

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 4

I decided to experiment this week. Really have been wanting to do a whimsical/Topsy Turvy cake. With several obstacles overcome, I have the cakes baked, filling spread, buttercream icing on and cakes carved, ready for fondant. I ran the air conditioning on 68 degrees all day in order to make sure I had no issues with my buttercream, today. Unfortunately, the fondant stuck to everything, including corn starch, powdered sugar, and crisco. I still have two batches of fondant to work with tomorrow, but it won't be enough, for the entire cake (10, 8, 6) I live in a small town. Went to both Walmarts. They are both out of glycerin and Michaels has moved this week and is closed down until the new store is open.

It's a good thing this was just experimental. But it does nothing for this newbies confidence. I'll probably cut the cake down to 2 tiers tomorrow and try again. I think I'll run to the store for a vinyl table cloth and give this method of rolling out fondant a try. I'm not giving up, yet.

3 replies
SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 4

I am so sorry you had a hard time, don't give up.

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 4

Since you are just practicing, why don't you just make simple MMF with the marshmallows and PS! There are some really easy recipes in the recipe section! GL! I am trying my 1st one for a friends B-day for Saturday! Yikes what did I get myself into!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:38am
post #4 of 4

That's a good idea with the MMF. I have wondered how it worked and tasted. Like you said it's an experiment. Now that I've slept and destressed, that sounds like a great idea. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%