1St Timer Cake Show Advice

Decorating By onebigdogmama Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm by cylstrial

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 4

I need some adviceI am going to be entering my first cake show at the end of April. It will be a dummy cake. (Possibly a 6 & 10 tiered or a 8 & 10 stacked) I want to attempt to do it all in buttercream, do some frozen buttercream transfers (first time tooI have done chocolate ones) and maybe some fondant accents.

I want the FBCT to be rounded, like the cakeso would I freeze them on the opposite side of like the flower former or some kind can, etc to get that shape? Should I leave them flat? So they would only need a dab of BC to attach to cake?? And do you fill in the back of the FBCT so you dont see the back when you attach itlike on the tutorial?

The other question, does my all my BC need to be the crusting kind? I plan on using all Crisco. As this will not be edible, I need everything to hold up on the drive over. Should I keep the FBCT off the cake until I get to the show or attach at home and cross my fingers?
I want to practice in the next few weeks before I put it all together.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!!
Signed,
Scaredy Cat...lol

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry I can't help w/FBCTs as I don't do them.
I do suggest mixing your b'cream as a crusting one (more sugar than fat). There will be less chance of messing it up while working on it and in delivery.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 4

Thank you Kakeladi for replying. I might change my mind and do chocolate transfers as I have done them before and they might hold up better.

Hope everything is getting better for you. birthday.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 4

This isn't the thread that I was originally trying to find. But I think it will help give you some idea's about how to prepare. If you have any questions, I'm sure that SugarFlowers would be willing to help you as she has lots of experience with cake competitions. I was actually looking for another thread that she started. You might try to find it. Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-488533.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%