Sparkle, Luster Dust Buttercream?????

Decorating By pamiez Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm by pamiez

pamiez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamiez Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 7

Good morning my fellow CCers.

I have to create a 1st b-day and the Mom would like the cake all 'sparkly'. The issue is the desing she picked is off of a picture decorated in fondant. I explained the differences and she wants buttercream. Has anyone had success in dusting buttercream??? Can this be done? Would I be better served explaining it can't be done and just sparkle the stuffing out of the decorations?

Any help would be as always wonderful. Thanks a bunch!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 7

You can sprinkle b'c w/edible glitter. Not knowing what the dusts are used for makes it hard to advise.
Can you post a pic of the design?

pamiez Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 7

Here is the website for the photo...http://www.buttercreamdreams.com/birthdays.htm. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some direction.

pamiez Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

OOPS, SILLY ME icon_redface.gif It is the third cake down with the big blue bow on top. Sorry

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 7

Well edible glitter won't give the same sheen but it will bring sparkle to the cake.
You can try dusting w/a large brush (a round make-up brush) but I don't think you will get as smooth a coverage as one would on fondant.
If you have an airbrush you can mix the luster dust w/vodka, gin or such and spray it on.
If you do end up having to use glitter.... crush it very, very fine, then rub it thru a fine strainer before you put it in a salt shaker (w/small holes) and shake it all over the cake.
I expect to see a pic when you are finished icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 7

That cake has been airbrushed with Pearl sheen. I LOVE that stuff. I have the Bakery Crafts brand and it makes a beautiful finish. Do you have an airbrush or know anyone who does?

edited to add: I just read on another post that there is a product that is made by Jesters that is the Pearl Luster sheen in a spray can. Not sure where you can get it - possibly the blocked site that sells sugar - craft items??

pamiez Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll keep you posted. Yes, I will post a pic. Have so many which I need to get on here, just have not done it. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%