How Do I Achieve This Look?

Baking By chilz822 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 12:32am by luv2bake6

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #1 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1330460.html

I know I saw a thread on this a while ago but I can't find it. I want to know how to get the cookies so smooth with no seperation between colors (like the stripes and dots).

If you all can help, as always, it's greatly appreciated.

10 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 11

Sorry I can't help but here's a bump.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 11

Have you tried pm'ing the member that posted the picture? That's the first person I would ask. Otherwise , I would try using a slightly thicker border frosting (in the photo it would be the black) and slightly thinner other colors. Thinner than you would normally use when doing cookies.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 11

looks like toba's glace. I just tried her recipe the other day take a little longer to dry but love the stuff. tastes great also.

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:08am
post #5 of 11

she has a blog with the recipes she uses on it. i'm not sure she explains HOW she decorated the cookies on the blog though.

i'm not sure about the black icing, but the other stripes and dots look like they were piped on whilst the base layer was wet. i.e. you flood the base colour first, then whilst its still wet, you pipe on dots/lines in a different colour on top with icing that is the same consistency.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:46am
post #6 of 11

I agree with tujy when she said:

"i'm not sure about the black icing, but the other stripes and dots look like they were piped on whilst the base layer was wet. i.e. you flood the base colour first, then whilst its still wet, you pipe on dots/lines in a different colour on top with icing that is the same consistency."

I do think that the circle part of the flower was an outine that dried before she filled it. The other black lines look like she used a smaller tip and flooded the base colors and then added the black while everything was still runny.

Would love to hear if you email and find out what method she used.
Take care!
Marian

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with the others . I think most of it was done wet on wet.

It's kind of hard to tell from the photo if the black lines look raised..if they are, then they were done after it all dried.

One thing if you do this is to be sure that your icing colors are all of the same consistency...especially if the color you drop in is the least bit thicker(heavier) it will sink when dried.

If you look in my photos at the white onsie with pink dots, this is what happens. There was just a slight difference, creating an interesting mistake! icon_smile.gif

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemookie

If you look in my photos at the white onsie with pink dots, this is what happens. There was just a slight difference, creating an interesting mistake! icon_smile.gif

I just checked the onsie you are talking about. I would say you've come up with a new technique! thumbs_up.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 11

cookiemookie, I actually love the way your 'mistake' turned out! Your cookies are beautiful, I wanna stencil like you when I grow up! icon_wink.gif

sweetopia, those gingerbread houses are the bomb!

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Chilz822! Your cakes and cookies are the bomb!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #11 of 11

I agree. One would never have guessed it was an accident. This is definately a great technique. Thanks!!
How did you get the bow on the cookie? Do you bake it with a hole to tie the ribbon?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%