What *should* Brides Ask

Decorating By MJ2008 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 2:33am by all4cake

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 9

I've seen a lot of people that get frustrated at brides that call and ask about price first thing. Since I'll be searching for my cake decorator for my wedding soon (I'm not willing to make my own), I thought I'd find out what you would prefer to have brides ask about first. If you could create the perfect first-time caller, what would you have them say?

8 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 9

Oh this should be good. I cannot wait to see what replies you get to this one. I dont really do wedding cakes so I have no input for you. I prefer doing cakes for 5 year olds. They love everything and dont care about the cost. hehe

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 9

First they need to know if you're even available before the issues of cost, style and design are even addressed.

I would be impressed with a bride who conveyed the idea that she'd done some research. "I understand there are a lot of factors involved in pricing a cake,but what would you say your average price range for a wedding cake would be?"

I would also be impressed with a bride who conveyed that she is interested in learning more about the process by asking "Is there anything I haven't asked that I need to know about your cakes?"

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 9

I think doing a little research is great. I love when a bride comes in and has a starting point of what she wants. My biggest irritation is having a totally clueless bride who thinks white and chocolate cake are the only flavors out there, and I'm so tired of the buttercream cakes with buttercream roses.

indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenscakes

My biggest irritation is having a totally clueless bride who thinks white and chocolate cake are the only flavors out there, and I'm so tired of the buttercream cakes with buttercream roses.

Gosh, you say that like it's a bad thing! icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 9

I wish all brides were like my last wedding cake order. She really seemed to young (or I just getting old). She asked me if she was allowed to have tiers. if she could have different flavors for each layer.Then she said she would pick it up icon_confused.gif she was so cute. I said wouldn't it be a lot easier if I delivered it and set it up so you would not have to worry about it at all. She giggled and said you really would deliver it. I pretty much designed it for her picked flavors. She called that Monday while on her honeymoon to tell me how beautiful it was.
So that threw my ordering concept out the window.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 9

When a bride calls to make a tasting appointment I always ask if she's looked around yet. Usually they say they're just starting. I always tell then to go online and look at wedding cakes under Google images or on Flickr. Then they at least have an idea of what they liked about what they saw and what they didn't like, and she can jot those ideas down or print out the pictures and bring them when she comes to see me. Most people who call don't even realize that we do tastings and the first question really is "how much are your cakes?" I hate feeling like a stereotypical shady car dealer when I can't give them a price the moment they call, but I try to give them a range (they can be as little as $2.50 a serving and can go up to $6 a serving). I'd like to hear the bride ask if we can do such and such a flavor, or different shaped tiers (did you know that cakes can be made in shapes other than round????), or if we have different fillings. I also hate to run down the flavor list like a waitress runs through salad dressing choices (you know she's always rolling her eyes because she's said them in order 50 times in one day). Anything that shows that they're not completely clueless about cake would be a start. I admit it is overwhelming, especially if you don't bake. I don't know a thing about computers, but if I were going to the store to buy one I wouldn't ask "how much are your computers?" and I'd certainly look online or ask friends before I went in.

indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

I also hate to run down the flavor list like a waitress runs through salad dressing choices

I know what you mean .... I don't do that..... I just tell her, "pretty much whatever flavor you want. If I can't make it, I'll be the first to tell you. What flavor were you looking for?"

I think most people at least have an idea of what flavor they want. I mean, it's not like they've never eaten cake before! icon_eek.gif Reminds me of that old joke about the person who goes into the 33 flavors place and asks them "What flavors do you have?" The clerk runs thru all 33 flavors and the customers says, "OK ..... I'll take vanilla." dunce.gif

I like your idea of asking them if they've looked around yet. I'll probably add that to my intro email!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #9 of 9

Hi. My name is ___. I'm getting married _____. Are you available? I'm just starting the process for the cake. What are you price ranges for buttercream? For fondant? Do you offer a tasting? (or, if they've had your cake before, say so and inquire about other possible flavors or flavor combinations....). May I schedule a tasting? I can bring with me some ideas. I'm not sure how many guests there will be but I can get an estimate of how many. Is there anything I need to bring with me to the tasting? Is there a charge for the tasting? How long do I have after my tasting to book with you?

I'm sure there's other questions. I catch myself getting buggy sometimes. Then, I think...dayum...they're not experts...they don't know what they need to know in order to ask the questions(some). I don't find it a big deal, really. If they don't ask 'the' questions...I ask them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%