Help With Record Cookies Please :)

Baking By Chippi Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm by brendabaker

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 20

Hi all icon_smile.gif

Does anyone know how to go about making these cookies?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1263045

I PM'ed the person who made them but it's been 2 weeks w/ no return. I am guessing that I will use a circle cutter (obviously) and a royal icing? like my mitten cookies i did. I'm just wondering if it would be easier to use MMF? I dunno how a cookie taste with MMF. I think they might be easier to make that way but I really want them to taste yummy. Also, if I did use RI and made black wouldn't it taste bad? These cookies are great for a cake (50's theme) I am doing and the customer wants cookies too. Anyone have any ideas? icon_smile.gif Appreciate your time.

Thanks!
Chippi

19 replies
HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #2 of 20

Those cookies are really nice that you posted! I'll have to add them to my favorites.

As for decorating them, I would probably use RI, but that being said, I think that much black on a cookie would taste wierd, and be messy to eat. I haven't worked with MMF or something similar so I don't know how it tastes with all of that black coloring in it. There was a post a while back about it tasting pretty good on cookies but I don't think they were talking about black. Is there any way you could talk them into other 50's themed things and just do a few records? Good luck!

Heidi.

Chippi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 20

I just love these cookies too but maybe I need to go with a record cookie that is made w/o the black, but they sure do go with the cake. I dunno, I'm clueless here. Any ideas out there are very welcomed icon_smile.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 20

If you want to use MMF, try Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate fondant. It takes very little coloring to make black and tastes pretty good. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3193-Rhondas-Ultimate-Chocolate-MMF.html

HTH

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 20

Did they specifically ask for records? You could do a poodle skirt, music notes, sadly that's all I can think of for now.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #6 of 20

If you start with chocolate fondant (I highly recommend Michele Foster's), it doesn't take much black and would taste much better. I think if I were doing these (and I did save them, they're adorable!), that's what I'd do...

You can always buy pre-colored black fondant also (ChocoPan is wonderful for taste).

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #7 of 20

Found this on flickr, maybe you could email this person:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookiejan/2939954815/in/set-72157607980553115/

chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #8 of 20

That's black fondant, she has some excellent cookies and several of her comments mention the use of fondant. If you look very closely at the leg-edge of her lingere cookies, you can see the black and red layering. Her designs are very very pretty, and she has several 'record cookies' that are perfect...!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookiejan/3044504297/in/set-72157607980553115/

Chippi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 20

Thank you all.........icon_smile.gif

Chilz a few questions:

1. Which do you think Choco-pan or Michelles would taste better? I'm use to making MMF w/ variations of flavorings of Michelles. I have never made a choc/black fondant.

2. How do I go about attaching fondant? Do you lay a thin layer of buttercream for taste? or just use water to attach the fondant. I know how to attach to cakes but this is my first time doing Fondant Cookies! lol

3. Does the fondant dry out, I will be doing a big cake also and so I will do the cookies and brownies few days before. Should I bag them? Also, I quoted her 10.00 dozen, which I think was a lil cheap but this is a huge order and I'm getting almost $300.00 for all of it. So I felt I could give her a deal on the cookies and brownies. This is my first big order and I'm so excited.

Thanks for you help everyone!

Chippi

chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 20

Michele's is definately more cost effective and if you start hers out by adding chocolate to make it brown, then you don't have to add nearly as much black. If you want pre-colored, get the chocopan (Michele's is easier to work with). Add 6oz of chocolate to the cooking process, you can even add your black at this time too if you want the entire batch the same color. Hers is definately my preference.

Brush your cooled cookies with a thin layer of corn syrup to get the fondant to stick. I've read that if you lay the fondant on while the cookie is warm, that it sticks on it's own, I have not tried this. I prefer the corn syrup method.

Michele's fondant will dry very slightly just like it does on a cake, but I don't think it will dry hard, especially if you're bagging the cookies. As long as they're covered, they shouldn't dry out.

I'm excited for you on this order, I think it would be fun! I love the record cookies, I had not seen them until you posted them originally and I can't wait to see yours! (I might have to make them too, just for fun).

icon_biggrin.gif

Chippi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 20

Thank youuuuuuuu icon_smile.gif

Okay I believe I'm ready to tackle this with all your help! One last question, do sugar cookies taste that great with fondant on them meaning, michelles, choco or any? I have never had a cookie with fondant on them. Just curious. The first one I make I'm gonna try lol.

I'm doing a 75 serving cake for them also that is 50's theme. She also wants brownies. I am probably gonna just do regular w/ icing and display on a nice tray.

I'm doing an Easter cake for our family and then I've entered the Sugar Wonders Sugar Art show in McKinney, TX the 25-26th. First time entering one and I haven't a clue yet what I'm gonna do. Hope I don't get overwelmed but I just have to pace myself and be prepared. icon_surprised.gif

I will post as soon as I have them done for critiquing!

Thanks everyone again, especially Chilz!

Chippi icon_smile.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 20

I know you have lots of great options on here, but if you're looking for another option - I've never played with fondant, so here's a newbie idea... icon_smile.gif I've done tire cookies, icing them with dark chocolate and putting black sanding sugar on the chocolate while it's still wet - gives the black look with a yummy chocolate taste. When the chocolate hardens you can pipe your word over the sanding sugar coating. Just another idea! Can't wait to see them!

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #13 of 20

Hi!
I like the idea of using fondant for the records, because I think the edges would be neat. Piping a circle perfectly can take a lot of practice. I know I was still learning a lot when I made these ones so they're not as neat as they should be. See here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarhobby/2546463050/

Jusssst in case you do decide to go with royal icing though, some things that would have helped me back then, and that I would do now are:
-use an edible ink pen to trace the center and outer circle right on the cookie, so that when you go to pipe it, you just need to follow the drawn circles. (for the outer circle you could technically just follow the perimeter, but sometimes it's nice to be jussst in a bit from the cookie, so that the cookie easier to move around when you're decorating).

-I like Americolor black; to me it doesn't to have the same taste as Wilton.

Good luck with your cookies! Would love to see your cookies when you're done!
Take care,
Marian

Chippi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 20

Hi all!

I've decided to go with the choco-pan! I have 1 other cake I'm going to use it on also. I bought the choco-pan here

http://www.choco-pan.com/shop/index.php

I just really want these cookies to taste their best and the cake also. I am going to be using some of it for a black checkered pattern on the bottom tier. I ordered 4lbs I think that will be enough.

I do want to try the Choc. MMF recipes but w/ working and doing my first competition cake this month I went the easier way around.

Hope your having a great weekend!

Chippi icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 20

You can also use rolled buttercream, it's similar to fondant and takes black better I think it tastes better and you use it like fondant. Hope this helps. There is a site karens cookies you can google it and she has recipes there for chocolate rolled buttercream. If you can't find it I have it let me know.

chilz822 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 20

Chippi, if you're going to use the ChocoPan to cover the cake, take your time... it's a little harder to work with in large pieces than Michele's or mmf, but the taste is great, like Tootsie Rolls...

brendabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendabaker Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:38am
post #17 of 20

Hi debster, I'm going a sheet cake and would love the rolled buttercream recipe. I went to Karens Cookies and couldn't seem to pull it up. Realaly I'm just curious to the taste and I'm a bit of an adventurer (if that's a real word) lol , and just love to try new things. This rolled buttercream recipe sounds like a good thing. Also, does mmf stand for marshmellow fondant and if so, is that a good covering also for a sheet cake ? I've always been pretty decent on the cake baking end of things, but just learning to decorate and I fell in love !! Willing to learn & experiment, so much for this book I'm writing LOL, anyway thanx 4 any help with my questions..........brendabaker

Chippi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Chippi, if you're going to use the ChocoPan to cover the cake, take your time... it's a little harder to work with in large pieces than Michele's or mmf, but the taste is great, like Tootsie Rolls...

Hi Chilz........nope just gonna use them as accents on it but ty for the fyi. Tootsie rolls ay? Sweet! Thanks for the tons of helpppppp! I will post both cookies and cake when I'm done with it! icon_smile.gif

Have a good one!
Chippi

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 20

Hi , this is what I use................

1cup shortening 1 cup light corn syrup, 1/2 tsp clear vanilla flavoring.
2 lbs sifted powdered sugar 1/2 cup cocoa 1/2 tsp popcorn salt.

Mix this together, roll out and cut for cookies or put over cake like fondant. I've only used it for cookies.

brendabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendabaker Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #20 of 20

Thanx so much debster for the recipe, will try it on both cookies & cakes....brendabaker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%