Outlining Necessary?

Baking By Mrsnoodle Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 3:22am by Mrsnoodle

Mrsnoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrsnoodle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 3

I am planning on decorating a batch of cookies this evening. I want to do easter eggs with run sugar icing (color flow) that blend into each other. I am wondering if I need to outline the outside in full strength before piping on the thinned icing. My line work is not very good so would rather not, but is my icing just going to flow over the sides if I don't create a dam?

Any tips on improving line work other than lots of practice? I always seem to have trouble keeping the pressure even.

Thanks.

2 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 3

The fast answer would be yes, you need to outline or your icing will just run off the sides.

The longer answer is, it depends on the consistency of your icing. If you make the icing thick enough, you might get away with it. However, it still looks cleaner to do an outline and then fill it in. The line just keeps everything contained and makes a better edge.

I have found that a two step process works best for me. First outline each cookie with a medium consistency icing. Do three or four, then go back and fill with a thinner consistency icing in a plastic squirt bottle. The outline is still soft at that point, so the icings just blend together, but the line is hard enough to hold its shape and not let the icing flow over the sides.

Honestly, now that I look at my long rambling post, it just takes practice. Try several ways and see which works for you.

Mrsnoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrsnoodle Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply. I did them this evening. My outlining was terrible as usual! I tried it both ways and found that my icing was thick enough to sit at the edge without a border but I wonder how long it will take to dry. It seems quite thick looking.

My patterns are quite pretty but one of my colors was not what I had planned. Ah well! I'm only a beginner at this lark!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%