Quilting Fondant

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 1:53am by bobwonderbuns

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 14

Can someone let me in on the secret to quilting fondant and getting a even straight result? I am having issues every time I try to put a pattern on a cake and cannot seem to get it to come out evenly weather it be a harlequine pattern, swags, etc. I would appreciate your help.

13 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 14

Aww cxome on!! I know someone can help me with this!!

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 14

I wish I could help, I do my by hand with the straight edge of a ruler but can never get it matched up right. Always a little off.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 14

well as far as quilting, do you mean that diamond pattern in fondant or BC frosting.

That is done with an impression mat. You can but from global sugar arts.

I'm not sure what you mean about the swags. icon_confused.gif can you describe more

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 14

Have you used the smart marker by CK? That should help with most of your problems. Also, both JenniferMI and Sugarshack discuss quilting in their videos and give hints and tips on how to even it out. If you look in my pix, I did a gelatin butterfly cake with fondant quilting using the diamond quilter and stitching wheel. The pattern didn't quite match up in the back of the cake (it never does) so I took the stitching wheel and evened it out -- you'd never know!! icon_lol.gif Hope that helps some -- remember this stuff does take practice but with time and effort and help from the CC community you will get it. Hang in there! icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #6 of 14

bobwonderpants, that is exactly what I want to do. I looked at the impression mats and did not see the quilted pattern. But, if I used a mat wouldnt the pattern run sideways on parts of the cake once the fondant is layed on the cake? The videos you reffered to, are they on the site? or are you talking about buying them? when i mentioned swags I was talking about doing swags of ruffles around the top of the cake.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #7 of 14

For the harlequin/diamond pattern, get the diamond cutter that has three diamonds connected.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22143

After you go around your cake making the diamond impressions with the cutter, go over all the lines with your stitching wheel. The diamond cutter makes straight lines and all you have to do is follow on top of those lines with the stitching wheel.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 14

wow i had no idea. does it bend or is it rigid?

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 14

Okay, first, the smart marker is found at this link: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=529&SubCatId=154&productId=630394 It's great for helping to divide a cake so your patterns (and swags) are even on the cake.

The diamond impression mats and the diamond quilters are very good and easy to use but you do have to take some care to try and line them up as good as you can in the back of the cake. I'm not sure what you mean about the pattern running sideways -- you can line it up any way you want using these tools. Here's a link to some diamond impression mats: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx and here is a link to the diamond quilters I was talking about (which are rigid but they are small so you don't have to worry about them fitting on the cake, they are meant to be used in sections): http://www.creativecutters.com/index.php?option=com_simpleshop&task=browse&Itemid=42&catid=11 The stitching wheel I prefer is: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17378

Now as for the videos, I'll never hear the end of it if I don't get this right... icon_lol.gif The videos I referred to I BELIEVE are JenniferMI's Fun with Fondant Frills DVD (found at www.jenniferdontz.com) and if I remember right Sugarshack talks about quilting in her Flawless Fondant DVD (available at www.SugarEdProductions.com) If those are not the exact DVDs which go into it, contact JenniferMI and Sugarshack (both CC members) and ask them which DVDs they are on. Jennifer uses the metal quilter and stitching wheel (the method I prefer and used on the gelatin butterfly cake) and Sugarshack uses the impression mat. Both are excellent videos and I highly recommend them both. Plus Jennifer's Fondant Frills DVD goes into making swags and draping techniques as well -- which would be a definite added bonus for you.

Soooo, I hope I've covered everything and more importantly I hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

wow i had no idea. does it bend or is it rigid?

Not sure if you're asking about the diamond cutter or impression mat, but:

1 - diamond cutter. When you use it with fondant on a round cake, you have to rock the cutter to one side, then the other to get the cut into the contour of the round cake. For square cake - just press straight in.

2 - impression mat. If you're using on fondant you'll have to press pretty darn hard to get an impression, but as long as you get enough to see, you can go over it with the stitching wheel like you would the cutter. I got my impression mat to use with buttercream and if you're doing a round cake, the mat will bend enough to meet the contour of the cake.

Bobwonderbuns you're exactly right - SugarShack shows how to use the impression mat on fondant and Jennifer Dontz demonstrates the diamond cutter on fondant. Both are excellent videos!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #11 of 14

News and Bob, Thank yo uboth so much for all of the helpfull information. I really appreciate it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #12 of 14

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I forgot to mention that Jennifer sells the quilter herself and a little bird told me it's cheaper than GSA (but don't tell anyone!) icon_lol.gif

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #13 of 14

I don't know if any of the links showed this quilter - but this is what I use on fondant and buttercream and it works much better than the metal ones (in my opinion). It can be used horizontally or vertically. It's slightly flexible for getting the pattern on round cakes. It doesn't stick and it's easy to line up to go all the way around. Always start your pattern on the back of the cake, that way when you meet at the back, if it's "off", it's not as noticeable. Certain size cakes will match up perfectly, but others may be slightly off. Once you learn which sizes are "off", you can compensate by putting your pattern slightly closer or further apart to make it match up. Make sense? Good luck!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?img=17325_DIP0FG9Y_17325_lg3.jpg&w=200

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%