Chocolate Fudge Easter Eggs

Sugar Work By southerncake Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 12:56am by pastryjen

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

I might should post this in the recipe section, but I thought I might get more response in the candy forum.

I need a recipe or some advice for making Chocolate Fudge Easter Eggs - the kind with fudge in the middle dipped in chocolate like you would find in a candy store.

It has to be shelf stable. I have found recipes for these with a chocolate pudding base, but I am unsure if they have to go in the fridge, which is not an option!

Thanks in advance!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 6

These are really good.
Chocolate Fudge Easter Eggs

2/3 cup undiluted evaporated milk
1-2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups diced marshmallows (16 medium sized)
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips (about 9 oz)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix evaporated milk, sugar and salt in saucepan over medium heat. Stir until boiling, then cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add other ingredients. Stir 1 to 2 minutes, or until marshmallows melt. Let stand until cold; then form into egg shapes about 2 inches long x 1 inch wide.

If desired, roll in coconut tinted with food coloring or decorate with icing. Makes about 30 chocolate fudge Easter eggs. Wrap in colored cellophane for gift giving.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! This sounds perfect!!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #4 of 6

Wow - they sound fabulous!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #5 of 6

Oh man, I have not had one of those fudge eggs since I was a kid!! They were my very FAVORITE of all holiday candy (and even in those days one of those babies took me a week to eat it!!) icon_biggrin.gif Does anyone know if they still sell them, or are we relegated to having Rockysmom make them for us?? icon_lol.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 6

I think you can get something very similar in Canada at Laura Secord's - the purple box easter egg!

I'd make them for you but they wouldn't make it out of the kitchen. They'd take me about a minute to eat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%