Are They Still Usable??

Decorating By sdrper Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm by Deb_

sdrper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrper Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 10

My husband questioned me about two cakes I am making for Saturday. He is asking if they are still good. I baked the grooms cake Sunday night late and the wedding cake Monday. I stored them tightly wrapped in a cool place in my kitchen. When I started on the grooms cake last night he said that it wouldn't be any good by Saturday, now I am question myself, Is he maybe right??? icon_confused.gif I don't want to make anyone sick. Do I need to rebake these cakes? Thanks for your responses.

9 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 10

I would rebake. If you want to bake more than a day or two ahead you need to freeze them.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 10

I would rebake also. I bake 2 days before something is due. So Thursday for a Saturday order.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 10

why don't you just freeze it. It really depends on what kind of cake you are using if you leave it out for a week. I have some that would work o.k. if I left it in the fridge.
For someone else though I would not leave it out for a week and then give it to them.

sdrper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrper Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the input. The grooms cake is iced with butter cream and covered in fondant, do you think i still need to rebake it?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 10

Boy, I don't know...... are they iced? When ever I bake ahead, I freeze them.....

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrper

Thanks for the input. The grooms cake is iced with butter cream and covered in fondant, do you think i still need to rebake it?

yes. A week is too long to leave it out.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 10

Ok..so i know i've eaten cake that is around three to four days old and it still tasted pretty darn good..cake mix cake. BUT>> if it was for a paying customer i would definitely not give them a cake that was that old because how many days are they gonna leave out the leftovers? I wouldn't want to make anyone sick.
What i do is bake my cakes early in the week, freeze 'em and then take them out the day before i'm ready to ice. It maintains moistness, freshness and i don't have to worry about making people sick. JMO.

I'd rebake.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 10

I agree, rebake, while you won't make anyone sick, the cake will taste stale. I also bake just 2 days ahead, and if I have a lot of cakes to do, I freeze them(though I try to avoid freezing as I also think it effects taste)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 10

For a paying customer definitely, you need to re-bake.

If you want to bake that far in advance you really need to freeze the layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%