Newbie Cake Freak

Decorating By deangie Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 6:04am by GenGen

deangie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deangie Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 8

I've just enrolled in the Wilton cake decorating classes which I start on the 7th.I'm a total decorating freak...watch every show that MIGHT feature cakes ,spend hours on youtube viewing the cake videos....today I'm going to attempt a fondant cake and gum paste flowers latter...What is the best brand of premade fondant to use concerning flavor? icon_smile.gif

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 8

I prefer Albert Uster Imports Massa Grischuna Americana. Chocopan is lovely, and Satin Ice is nice, too.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, deangie. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Look forward to seeing pics of your cakes. thumbs_up.gif

HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #4 of 8

Welcome to CC and the wonderful world of Cake decorating..We are all very passionate here.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #5 of 8

Hi Deangie,

I just have to ask because the dates/class subjects coincide....you wouldn't happen to be taking classes at Lorraine's, would you?

Also, just thought to mention that unless you're just using it for practice, Wilton's fondant isn't exactly the best tasting of the bunch. I learned this the hard way icon_cry.gif I haven't used premade since trying the Wilton's. Having learned how easy it was to make marshmallow fondant from CC and working with modeling chocolate as well (both of which taste, to me anyway, a whole lot better than Wilton's), I've stuck to those two. I have heard alot that Satin Ice is good to go with though.

Good luck and enjoy your classes!

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:24am
post #6 of 8

Yes welcome to this beautiful website. And while you're looking around be sure to look at some of tonedna's cakes. I haven't introduced myself to her but I think she will teach you alot. I can't wait to have a cake to do to ask her questions!! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohthebear

Yes welcome to this beautiful website. And while you're looking around be sure to look at some of tonedna's cakes. I haven't introduced myself to her but I think she will teach you alot. I can't wait to have a cake to do to ask her questions!! icon_lol.gif

Nice to meet you!.. icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:04am
post #8 of 8

dont forget to check out the awesome recipes for marshmallow fondant here on CC! so easy even *I* can make it

i'ma-- still learning how to get it ON the cake yet though *walks off whistling sheepishly*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%