If Someone Copied Your Cake, Would You Be Flattered Or Upset

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:03pm by ericaplh

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 60

I'm just curious... if someone copied one of your cakes and posted it, would you be flattered or upset? I personally would be flattered, but I'm just curious how others would feel.

59 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 60

Oh, yeah, flattered. The greatest compliment is imitation. I would love for someone to like one of mine enough to copy it or use it as an inspiration.

Sandy

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 60

I also would be very flattered. I think that's why most of us post the pictures of our cakes here to help inspire other people or share new ideas and techniques. Cake Central is the best for that. I think that if anyone got upset over this they would not post their cakes. But who knows.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 60

I love when people sent me PM saying that they are going to use my designs. I dont mind using them. I do love seeing them.
What I dont like is my photos stolen, that, is another story.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 60

I would be flattered that someone liked one of my cakes enough to want it duplicated. But I don't make cakes as primary income. I just do it as a hobby.

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 60

Totally flattered!
But I don't have to worry about it because I'm no where good enough for someone to copy me! icon_redface.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 60

I'd be flattered! I always need help coming up with ideas! I love being able to browse CC looking for ideas/inspirations! If I didn't want others to "copy"(not that I am that great!) I wouldn't post my pictures. icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 60

Edna, I could definitly see why people would copy your designs. Your fantastic!

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 60

I would be so excited if someone copied one of my cakes... or even said my cake inspired them!

I know that every time I'm "inspired" by a cake I see here on CC, it's because I LOVE how the cake looks, so if someone felt the same way about one of my cakes, I would be flattered and very happy.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 60

Flattered! icon_biggrin.gif

Edna- I totally understand...we can borrow your ideas, you just don't want us to claim your pictures as our own! Duh! LOL! I would never do that, but with how good Edna is, I am assuming that she has encountered problems before!

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 60

I would be very flattered if someone copied my cake. If I never wanted anyone to copy what I was doing then I would never upload them. I love CC for the albums and all the inspirattion they provide.

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 60

I would be just over my head flattered!!! icon_smile.gif

And let me tell you all, what you show here in this community is just so inspiring, and not only the photos but just all you teach and share.

It's almost impossible not to want to copy or base on some of the works, and come back next day (first thing in the morning icon_smile.gif ) to learn a little more.

Thank you everybody!! And please feel free to copy me. icon_smile.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 60

Without a doubt, I'd be flattered. HOWEVER, if their cake ends up looking better than mine, I'd be a-n-g-r-y icon_biggrin.gif ONLY JOKING...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 60

Exactly as the others said.......butternut hit it right on the noseicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 60

So flattered you'd need a crowbar to get the grin off of my face!

tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 60

Thanks Classy Mommy and mariu... icon_biggrin.gif

I have a few people using my photos in their websites, and I just say to them, if they are my photos please make sure to give me credit and not to cut my name out of them. And I will gladly let them use the photo as long as I am asked.. Is a huge complement for me.
I love people using my designs... I love even more when they give me credit and mention me or even invite me to see their creations. Is a huge honor..

What I dont enjoy is stealing my photos and using them as their own designs..thats just not right..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So flattered you'd need a crowbar to get the grin off of my face!

Do you own a book with funny quotes!!!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #18 of 60

I think I'll finally feel like I'm become a halfway decent decorator the day someone copies one of my cakes! You won't be able to wipe the smile off my face! icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 60

When I've been PMed for instructions on how to make one of my cakes it sent me over the top flattered..I couldn't type the instructions fast enough to reply back..and oh at the times I have asked someone else for instructions and they were more than happy to share with me...this is one awesome place to share and learn with like minds and kind hearts...

I decided that I didn't find this place by accident anymore, it was by fate!

lilsugarbug1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsugarbug1985 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #20 of 60

i think it would be ok as long as they didn't sell it to a magazine or something

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 60

Like most of the previous posts, I would be totally flattered! I have gained so many ideas and techniques from other CC'rs. I am thrilled if someone likes one of my cakes enough to use if for inspiration.!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #22 of 60

I'd be flattered ~ if I had any pictures posted!!
I guess I'm in "total awe" everyday when I see the creations made here on CC by our members. I'm almost embarrassed at the thought of someone looking at my pictures (for now atleast)!
But I do get my ideas from our members, and when I am using a cake idea, I always PM the original maker to let them know how much I love their cake and that I'm going to use their idea. But, that being said, I do always try to put a "twist" of my own to the cake so it's not exactly like the original.
If I ever do post, I'd definitely give credit where credit is due!

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #23 of 60

I can't even imagine anyone copying my cakes. But definitely flattered!!!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #24 of 60

I had it happen only once and was elated and oh so flattered. I was also happy to see that they DID give me credit because I've seen so many times when people don't do that or say they forget who's cake it was that inspired it yet it looks like almost an exact copy.

Personally I have been inspired by so many cakes but haven't yet had an opportunity to copy another person's designs because I just don't make that many yet and I still have so many ideas floating in my head that I want to try. But when the time comes that I do duplicate another members cake, I will definitely PM them so they know and can see for themselves.

As others mentioned, people wouldn't post their pics if they minded them being copied but I'm sure they'd like it even better when they are given credit and for sure they would appreciate knowing when their cake inspired another if only so they can see the honour given to them.

Oh and I aspire to be in the same league as Edna so hers may be the first I do copy lol

icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:38am
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I had it happen only once and was elated and oh so flattered. I was also happy to see that they DID give me credit because I've seen so many times when people don't do that or say they forget who's cake it was that inspired it yet it looks like almost an exact copy.

Personally I have been inspired by so many cakes but haven't yet had an opportunity to copy another person's designs because I just don't make that many yet and I still have so many ideas floating in my head that I want to try. But when the time comes that I do duplicate another members cake, I will definitely PM them so they know and can see for themselves.

As others mentioned, people wouldn't post their pics if they minded them being copied but I'm sure they'd like it even better when they are given credit and for sure they would appreciate knowing when their cake inspired another if only so they can see the honour given to them.

Oh and I aspire to be in the same league as Edna so hers may be the first I do copy lol

icon_smile.gif

Im just like the girl next door..I just have a job that I adore and I can play with my favorite toys..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #26 of 60

Hey there everyone! I'm the one that posted the original question. I am so pleasantly surprized by everyone's responses. I was hoping most would be flattered. If I ever do knowingly copy someone's work, I'll be sure to give them credit. There are so many wonderfully talented cake artists here! I love that we can all share our knowledge and compliments with one another. Thanks!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #27 of 60

I'm always flattered, too. What better compliment is there? I give instructions when I can...I mean...its's cake, not the secret recipe for CocaCola. Usually I get a little mention if someone really copies, and that's nice.
HOWEVER....
I recently had my photos stolen and they just plastered their logo on my photo. That really irked me, but I sent them a letter and they took them down immediately.

Everone gets ideas from everyone else....I have done cakes that are not exactly copies, but close enough to a famous artist's originals, but here and on my website, I try to always give obvious credit to them.
icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #28 of 60

I don't care if a design is copied.

However, I did get very upset over the following situation. I had a cake featured in a magazine. It was a cake that I had designed and had never seen anything remotely similar anywhere. A year later, a competitor opened a second store on the same street as my store, but several miles away.

He placed an ad in a local paper announcing the opening of their new store and the picture of the wedding cake in the ad...an EXACT copy of my cake, except they added an extra set of pillars!

Put it in your store if you must, but DON"T put it in an ad when you are opening a store down the street!

I know he did it on purpose!! icon_evil.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #29 of 60

I am always flattered when someone wants to copy my design and they email me for instructions. I'm like Edna though...just don't use my actual photos.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #30 of 60

I wouldn't mind if someone copied a cake design of mine. I would mind if they used one of my pictures and called it theirs. I know that happens a lot with the internet these days. I don't think I have to worry about that yet though. My cakes are not that quality,... yet. icon_wink.gif I'm still working on that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%