What Do You Do With The Leveled Off Bits?

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 1:52am by BeeBoos-8599_

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 36

I'm a complete newbie caker so my cakes still need quite a bit leveled off. It's enough that I've saved it and snacked on it over a day or two. lol

It's really completely yummy because I've never been a fan of the sweet icing that I'm trying to perfect right now so it's like a little consolation prize while I decorate my cake icon_smile.gif

35 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 36

some people make cake balls out of them. If you do a search you'll find out all about them

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 36

Interesting! I had no idea icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 36

If doing a stacked cake, I use the leveled off part to make cake crumbs to put underneath the separator plates to prevent them from sticking to the icing of the tier below. Otherwise, they go into the trash.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 36

I eat them of course!! Thats the main reason that I've gained 30 lbs in the last few years icon_redface.gif

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 36

i eat them!
thats probably why i've gained 20 lbs since i started decorating cakes 3 years ago.

pattigunter Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 36

I just cant stand the thought of throwing them away....

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 36

Most of the time my family eat them unless I can hide them long enough to make cake truffles. (aka cakeballs) icon_lol.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 36

I usually feed mine to the garbage can, unless it's chocolate cake....I feed that to me icon_smile.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 36

I make cake balls ! ( im so in love with cake balls, I make them even when I dont have leftovers) Since I usually make cupcakes, I only have scraps when I scoop out the middles for something.

Cake balls are super easy. Its really according to your taste. Mix the cake 'scraps' with frosting of your choice ( red velvet with cream cheese frosting, choc cake with choc frosting, vanilla with strawberry ,etc, the list is endless!) until its just moist- not soggy. Roll a bit into a little ball, maybe a tad smaller then a gold ball. Let them chill in the fridge and then dip them in melted chocolate.

You can put them on a stick too. You can shape them into all sorts of things.

Too bad when I was really into making them , I hadnt discovered cake central and I dont have pics icon_cry.gif

I have an urge to make them now ! ! !

you really cant go wrong with them!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 36

If you have a whole lot, you could use them as a layer in a trifle dessert, too - layer w/ whipped cream, candy, choc chips, mousse fillings, fruit, anything, really...you could freeze them and you'd have them on hand for a trifle for impromptu company!...........
........or you could give them to DH for helping with the dishes! icon_wink.gif

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 36

um.... eat them. (is that wrong?)

pattigunter Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 36

Not if you dont mind a little extra padding!! icon_biggrin.gif

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 36

I cut four corners of a round cake to make it a square and ended up with four speared shaped cakes. That's how I got the idea to make my corn on the cob! Rounded corner facing up and the flat side face down, it's easier to pipe the kernels! Image

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 36

I used to eat mine, until I realized that all those leftover cake humps were now MY cake humps! icon_smile.gif Then I joined the gym and started throwing them in the garbage! LOL!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 36

I was going to just throw mine away, but that "what a waste" so I just put the scraps in a Ziploc bag w/a small bag of BC icing next to them for my BF. He's recently been bragging that he's lost 20lbs. doing absolutely nothing but cutting out pop (see Slim Quick commercials) so I thought I'd help him out!!! icon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #17 of 36

My husband eats them, my son eats them, I eat them..................I never have any leftover for cake balls....... icon_lol.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:25pm
post #18 of 36

My husband's work colleagues often ask him whether I've got any cake orders coming up.... they know they get off-cuts when I do!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #19 of 36

Oh! its nothing sexual but I HAVE A HUMP ADDICTION. hahaha

I never met a scrap I didn't like. If it doesnt get eatin right away I make cake balls and add a squirt of rum. makes great rum balls.

two2miracles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
two2miracles Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 36

My kids usually eat them or I just throw them away...so I WON'T EAT THEM MYSELF!!! No surprise, I just love cake!!!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

Oh! its nothing sexual but I HAVE A HUMP ADDICTION. hahaha

I never met a scrap I didn't like. If it doesnt get eatin right away I make cake balls and add a squirt of rum. makes great rum balls.

ooooooooooooo.................now I may have to save a stash for myself.............rum balls................yum........................

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #22 of 36

I make spackle. A mixture of the cake scraps, buttercream and the filling I'll be using. I then use this over the chilled crumb coat to get a solid, smooth surface, perfect under fondant. If I have more than I'll need to accomplish that, I use some as a tasty filling. In a torted two cake tier, I'll use pure fruit filling between the top two and bottom two layers and spackle between the middle two.

Edited to note that this is not my original idea. It comes from Toba Garrett's book, "The Well Decorated Cake."

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #23 of 36

Just finished my cake and all what is left is some buttercream and bit of fondant. I needed spackle - I used it as core for some bigger modeling. With right consistency you can use it as modeling clay.
Not everyday possibility. Other times there are enough takers. Once a thin layer from rectangle cake ended a small jelly roll. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of it and nobody knows that it started as something else .

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #24 of 36

I wrestle my family for them! The last cake I did my four year old DD was doing the "Happy, Happy cake scrap" dance before I even had the cakes out of the oven! If I didn't share they would mutiny!

Often if I'm making a cake for someone else I will use the scraps to make a very ugly version of the cake to be for us. That way the kids don't feel ripped off and I can make sure the flavors work well before I build. This is especially helpful if it's a new combo.

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabow2

I was going to just throw mine away, but that "what a waste" so I just put the scraps in a Ziploc bag w/a small bag of BC icing next to them for my BF. He's recently been bragging that he's lost 20lbs. doing absolutely nothing but cutting out pop (see Slim Quick commercials) so I thought I'd help him out!!! icon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif

LMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 36

I make cake balls for my youngest grandson! He LOVES cake... his first sentence, was Nan, I want cake pwese! icon_lol.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #27 of 36

I use cake scraps to absolutely negate any gains I made by dieting at work (and avoiding the drive thru) all day. But, I love the BF idea - mine is getting skinny way to fast for my diet!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #28 of 36

Trash. They go straight into the trash.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #29 of 36

Throw them away QUICKLY!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #30 of 36

The brown bit on top is the best part of the cake, so I eat mine, perfect with a glass of milk. If there is any serious cake scraps from carving cakes I pile them up on a paper plate, then if there is icing left over I dollop that over the top, and then the baby sitter gets them. In fact, she goes home with cake every week in one shape or form, scraps, whole cake or anything in between. Nobody in my house eats cake so she is a very happy lady to take my cake off my hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%