Best Chocolate Cake/filling/icing For A Chocolate Lover?

Decorating By TonyaBakes Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 12:13pm by cylstrial

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 14

My hubby's uncles B-day is Sunday. He loves chocolate more than about anyone I have ever seen. The richer the better. I was hoping to get a few suggestions on the cake I'm going to make him. I have found several wonderful recipes on here but I would love to hear from some of you who have tried them. What's the best cake, filling and icing combo you have that would satisfy such a chocolate freak? lol Thanks so much!

13 replies
MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 14

Hi icon_smile.gif

I have tried a bunch of chocolate cakes and liked them all, but you can't go wrong with the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake recipe, or the whimsical bakehouse chocolate cake. I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about Scott Wooley's brownie fudge cake (you can search CC for it).

As to fillings, I am absolutely in love with TxKat (now snarkybaker's) blender ganache recipe. It is AWESOME...fudgy but smooth and delicious. And for the icing recipe, I use Toba Garrett's chocolate buttercream, which is basically a buttercream/ganache mixture that's fantastic. TxKat's recipe is below and so is a link to Toba's icing. Hope that helps!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604395.html

Txkat's blender ganache (must be made in blender, or food processor)

6 oz UNSWEETENED chocolate
1 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar.

In blender, process milk and sugar together for about ten seconds. Add melted slightly cooled chocolate and blend on high speed until you hear your blender change pitch. This could be several minutes. pour into a bowl and let rest for at least two hours. If it doesn't firm up while blending, add an extra oz of chocolate. Do not refrigerate.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 14

MOBOGAL, Thank you so much for your wonderful suggestions. Just what I was looking for! I can't wait to try the recipes, I'm sure my Hubby's Uncle will love this cake!

MOBOGAL Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 14

You're so welcome! Glad they were useful. I'd love to hear what you think of them and how the cake turns out. Good luck!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 14

I second the Hershey's cake suggestion. I tried it for the first time yesterday (my first ever scratch cake) and it was YUMMY and moist and delicious. For some reason, mine sunk a little in the middle, but other than that, it was fantastic.

If you're using a box mix, Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate is my favorite. I substitute hot coffee for the water. It really enhances the chocolate flavor and you don't taste the coffee at all.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 14

at the mention of it the other day on another thread why not Nutella?its yummy, more then yummy, and rich and not only chocolate but hazelnut flavor icon_smile.gif YUUUUUM!

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 14

That's an easy one, in my book there are only two. Darn Good Chocolate cake is the most requested cake I have. It is a heavier cake and not good to carve if you put the chocolate chips in, but just to die for in taste. The recipe can be found here on CC. As for the subsitutions, I use equal parts Hershey syrup and milk and melted butter for the oil. Did I mention this was to die for?????? ***wipes saliva off of keyboard****
For a lighter cake but equally delish, I like the chocolate version of the WASC, also to be found here on CC.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 14

mmmmmmm......thinking one of those Nutella concoctions (sp?) from that thread combined with the Darn Good chocolate cake.......

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 14

i haven't used the chocolate wasc or any wasc yet but i have used a mix (yes i said the M word lol) by betty crocker the triple chocolate fudge and it turns out very well. just an idear

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #10 of 14

I have searched CC for the brownie fudge cake recipe....can't find it icon_cry.gif does anyone have it....sounds sinful thumbs_up.gif

wverbest Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #11 of 14

double post sorry

MOBOGAL Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 14

Here you go icon_smile.gif
This is Scott Clark Woolley's Fudge Brownie Cake

Fudge Brownie Cake, yeild: 2, 9" rounds

sift together:
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
reserve.

Cream:
3/4 c. butter
with
2 c. sugar

Then add: until creamy
3 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. veg. oil
2 tsp. vanilla

Then mix in you dry ingredients from above.

To this you add:
1 1/2 c, boiling water or hot coffee.
Nuts are optional

Dirrections: Now heres the wierd part, baking. The author reccomends 275-300F oven and NOT hotter. They are allowed to cool in the pans for ONLY/exactly 5 minutes and then you turn them out and wrap them in plastic wrap, sealing them. This step can't be omited, it does steam the cake and that does make the cake better then if you air cooled it (I've done both, wrapped is better). I've also baked it at 350 and that does work but a cooler oven is better. Be forwarned this cake does not rise high in the pan, it will be pretty close to the level of batter when finished. I've mulitpled this recipe as high as x6 which fills a 20qt mixing bowl, with no problems. This cake can be baked in any size pan with-out changes.

wverbest Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #13 of 14

thanks can't wait to try it!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:13pm
post #14 of 14

Everything sounds delicious! But I really want to try Snarkybaker's recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%