Burned Out On Cakes

Decorating By Cake4ever Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 7:58am by SpringFlour

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:45am
post #1 of 11

What do you do to get your cake mojo back?

I am burned out. I don't want to do any cakes, didn't make my kid's birthday cakes, turned down a potential customer today, and I feel guilty about it all. I thank God it is just a hobby and I can say no. icon_sad.gif

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:52am
post #2 of 11

I walk away for a while, not doing any cakes.

This might be a good time for you to invest in some classes or cake deco books. I get motivated every time I take a class or buy a book with a new skill for me to learn.

In fact, even though I am already way ahead of it in training, I am starting Wilton Fondant/Gumpaste next week, just for the certificate. It'll look good on the wall, next to the other three.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 11

yep - take a break!

I wasn't getting burned out, but I was shocked at the motivation that I got from Sugarshack's DVD's - as a matter of fact, I think I'm going to make a batch of Buttercream today - just because I want to try her recipe. I don't have any cakes this weekend or anything - I just want to try it. (btw - I HATE HATE HATE making buttercream!!)

Good luck - hope you can find you mojo again!

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

What do you do to get your cake mojo back?

I am burned out. I don't want to do any cakes

It happens to us all once in a while. Like the other poster said, take a course or get a new book or video. When it happens to me I just take a vacation (like a weekend) and go to the cabin. Not having to be around cakes or the phone icon_biggrin.gif helps me get back into it. Sometimes I look for a really challenging cake to do - something I've never done before - and it helps too.

Take a break and don't be so hard on yourself!

Cake4ever Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you for your replies. thumbs_up.gif

I just have just finished 2 classes back to back in flower making. There is another coming up and I just can't see myself taking it. Not even a good friend's praise & encouragement can do it. Her eyes bugged out when I told her I don't feel like making cakes anymore. It's terrible. The thought of dragging everything out, making & dyeing buttercream, all of the dirty tips and mess... ugh. And, don't freak out too bad, I will confess to this since I am on a roll... I'm only making my family bundt cakes! icon_eek.gif

I think I will sit back and not fret about it and see if I get an idea or a new book can motivate me. Meanwhile, I'm the bundt cake mom. LOL!

Thank you for your encouragement. thumbs_up.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 11

Just put your stuff away for a while. If it's just a hobby for you, then there is no reason to not like it. Hobbies are suppose to be fun!!

Cake4ever Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:42am
post #7 of 11

I love cake decorating and will never give it up completely and could never hate it. I just need a break, I guess, before I get motivated again. Meanwhile, I will hang out and admire everyone else's beautiful work. icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:56am
post #8 of 11

totally, take a break!

I know what you mean. I am finishing up 4 classes this month and am taking gumpaste flowers in April. I'm kinda burned out on the dragging all the crap back and forth thing. and the having to make someone else's crappy design thing.

So I am on a mini-break (til thursday). I'm trying to avoid watching my FN DVR'd shows, otherwise I will go in the kitchen and bust out some buttercream or something!

Cake4ever Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:24am
post #9 of 11

LOL! I hear you. Congrats on finishing so many classes though! Wow. That's true motivation. I hope you have posted your work. I will go check your gallery.

Oh how I miss Food Network! I don't get to see all the cool shows. I have a tiny oven now and can't bake like I used to.

Good luck on your gumpaste class! I totally recommend Nick Lodge's gumpaste recipe. It has worked great for my classes. And it was much cheaper to make my own than buy from the instructor. thumbs_up.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:36am
post #10 of 11

thanks! I haven't tried making own fondant and gumpaste yet, too lazy. I'll get around to it LOL

I haven't posted but a couple pics yet. My rainbow one is so tired it cracks me up. that's what happens when you don't wanna do the cake and it's only for a class I guess LOL. I'll have a bunch of pics coming up as I have a baby shower cake coming up, some Easter cookies for playgroup, yadda yadda yadda

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:58am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

The thought of dragging everything out, making & dyeing buttercream, all of the dirty tips and mess... ugh.

I totally get this. There are so many fun things I want to try, but it's such a pain to drag everything out. All my caking things are in a high cabinet in the kitchen. (I don't want the kids to get at it!) And I have so much stuff, and it so poorly organized, that it's too much trouble to get everything out. Plus, I have to wait for my boys to go to bed because they want to "help." If they're around, there's ps everywhere, or no fondant left because they've eaten it all. icon_razz.gif

I dream of when I get my commercial kitchen with a long, stainless counter, and shelves where things can be organized and quickly fetched. I could let figures and gumpaste decorations dry in open air, instead of hiding them from my kids. I could toss my tips, bags, and everything greasy into a sink and the nice teenager I've hired will wash and sanitize everything! icon_razz.gif Someday...

Sorry to hijack...I just feel your pain. I, too, go through dry spells. AND I've turned down cakes just because I didn't want the hassle. It's a fun hobby, but it would be nice if there was no prep or clean up work. icon_lol.gif If all I had to do was just decorate, what fun it would be! I'm happy to say I'm in an upswing right now and have 3 cakes planned and in process. FUN!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%