How Can I Control Mmf Sweetness

Decorating By justlovecakes Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 1:03am by jensenscakes

justlovecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justlovecakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:18am
post #1 of 6

Hi! I`m a newbie here at cakecentral and a newbie in baking cakes too. I`m just wondering if it is possible for me to control the sweetness of my homemade MMF. It seems to sweet for me though I love working with it because it makes my cakes look good. I tried to check Michele Foster`s recipe too but unfortunately corn syrup seems nowhere to be found in my country. Hope you can give me some advice.

5 replies
ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:28am
post #2 of 6

I general, a little salt helps cut sweetness. You can buy finely ground "popcorn salt", or you can just take regular salt and run it trough a coffee/spice grinder.

justlovecakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:08am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I general, a little salt helps cut sweetness. You can buy finely ground "popcorn salt", or you can just take regular salt and run it trough a coffee/spice grinder.

Thanks!!! Gonna try this one for the birthday cake next week. You`re an angel.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 6

I couldn't deal with the mess of MMF, and no matter what I did, it cracked on me. I did switch to Michele Foster's recipe and I love it. I'm not sure where you are at, but I'm almost positivte that you could swap out the corn syrup for golden syrup. If you're in the UK, you can find that anywhere!

Good luck!

justlovecakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by allie73

I couldn't deal with the mess of MMF, and no matter what I did, it cracked on me. I did switch to Michele Foster's recipe and I love it. I'm not sure where you are at, but I'm almost positivte that you could swap out the corn syrup for golden syrup. If you're in the UK, you can find that anywhere!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I`ll try to look up at stores tomorrow and hope I`ll find one. Actually I`m at Japan now so it`s quite hard for me to find ingredients and tools for baking. It`s even harder to recognize the terms they use for the ingredients. For example just about a month or two ago did I found out that what they are referring to as tanzan here is actually baking soda lol.Quite a challenge to notice the ingredients here but I am never gonna give up. Domo Arigatou Gozaimashita.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 6

I've found that mixing in 1 Tbsp. of lemon juice into the melted marshmallows works wonders! My family wouldn't touch the fondant before than and now they eat it all. I also add a little cornsyrup to help with the elasticity. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%