My First Pillow Cake!

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm by CristyInMiami

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:17am
post #1 of 7

I was really nervous for some reason with this cake. I wanted it to come put perfect and I was pretty happy with how it came out. I just had a problem with the bottom and the fondant but I fixed it up as best I could and when you placed it flat on the table you couldn't see it.

Do you guys have any techniques? I used the tutorial on here and it was a great help!

This is it. Hope you like it!
LL

6 replies
Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:04am
post #2 of 7

Congrats on a job well done! You did super! Thanks for sharing!

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:20am
post #3 of 7

It looks fabulous! I love the rope along the edge.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:26am
post #4 of 7

An excellent job!

CristyInMiami Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:44am
post #5 of 7

Thanks! The rope was a bit tricky because I dont have an extruder so I had to do it by hand and try to get it the same size all around. I "glued" it on with water but took a while to set. Is there another way to make it stick other than water or RI?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 7

Cristy, what's your tip for all the 'underneath' fondant? How do you get it all tucked under without flipping the whole thing over, and still make it look neat? (especially the corners)?

CristyInMiami Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Cristy, what's your tip for all the 'underneath' fondant? How do you get it all tucked under without flipping the whole thing over, and still make it look neat? (especially the corners)?

I actually had a bit of trouble with that. What I did was I cut the board, as best I could, in that shape and then placed the cake on a can. Once I laid the fondant over it I quicky cut most of the excess so it won't pull down on the rest of the fondant. I used corn syrup instead of water to "glue" the fondant to the board underneath.. My problem was that I tried to trim the fondant on the bottom a bit but in some areas trimmed to much and the board showed again. I ended up havint to patch these areas.

I went over it with my smoother and on the concave sides used the back of a spoon. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%