Charging Friends?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm by cakesbydina

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:51am
post #1 of 14

I recently reconnected with a very dear friend from long ago (we have kids the same age icon_smile.gif ) Anyway, she has asked me to make a cake for her for Friday. I felt funny charging her and offered it as a gift, but she wants to pay... ok, so I offered to charge her cost. She wants to pay what I'd charge a stranger. Needless to say, she's a cool person. icon_cool.gif

My dilemma? (get to the point, right?) ~ She literally saved my life when we were 13. I've never forgotten, although we don't talk about it. I feel really weird charging her full price. What would you do? I have to charge her something or she'll feel bad. icon_confused.gif Half price? Or just make something up?

Thanks for your suggestions, if you have any. icon_smile.gif

13 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 14

I don't even know. How about charging her cost & then a flat fee on top, like $20. That way it's not too high for you & it may sound kind of practical to her.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:06am
post #3 of 14

I think that your heart is in the right place, but try to think about what is making her comfortable. She is conformable paying you, let her, even if it is awkward for you. icon_smile.gif Relax and go with it, it will be fine as long as you don't make a big deal out of it.

kellertur Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #4 of 14

That might work... the cake is for 20-25 people.

I'll be doing a lot of figure work, but that was my choice. She told me the theme and said to run with it. I'm actually very excited to make it ~ her daughter will be 2 and they actually share a birthday!!

Thank you for giving me a place to start. icon_smile.gif

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:13am
post #5 of 14

Charge her what you would charge for a plain basic cake. Then give her all the extra figure work and decorations for free.

That would be a nice compromise.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 14

The only thing is when I charge a friend I always let them know it's a "friend price". That way if someone should ask they don't tell them what they paid and give the impression that is my usual charge. And I know exactly what you mean about being uncomfortable charging her.

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 14

I give a 20% discount for friends and family. I have had people offer to pay my "costs" but for me the bottom line is, I am running a business here and my family's livelihood depends upon me! That being said, this does sound like an extra special circumstance, and if I were in your shoes I would probably give a bigger discount too! icon_wink.gif

rhowe7778 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhowe7778 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 14

The question here, is your cake business is your family provider, if not,
my is suggestion. Why don't you just give it for free this time and tell her your gift for her child and next time she will order you would charged her then.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:58am
post #9 of 14

m. I just erased a response I wrote out! In rereading your post and realizing that she really wants to pay you a "customer's" price, maybe you could tell her you'd like to quote her the price for a basic cake but that as your gift to her, you would like to make figures and do something really cute "above and beyond" what was technically "ordered". Rather than beating around the bush on the price, because she clearly does not want to take advantage of your generosity. So charge her a fair price for a simple cake and throw in the supercool decorations as a gift, "I insist". My 2cents! icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 14

I absolutely agree with ceshell.....let her know you are "ramping it up" at no cost because she is a friend, but let her pay.

My experience is that sometimes friend are hesitant to order cakes because they don't want o make you feel they are asking for favors. I always charge my friends, but then give them a discount. This keeps eveeything on an even keel.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 14

A nice 'Thank you for allowing me to make the cake' gift might help make up the difference. I did that for a friend that did basically the same thing. I made her a nice box of truffles as a 'thank You', because she's my friend and I didn't feel right about her paying full price...

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 14

I am glad that I found this thread. Since I have gotten into cakemaking, I often have friends ask me to make a cake for them for a fee. I don't feel right about it so I tell them that I am not good enough. I am good enough. I just don't want the hassle. I am glad to hear what others do. One day I might change my mind. If I keep bringing cakes into work though they are going to figure me out. icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #13 of 14

redlotusninja~ That's exactly how I got started. My husband kept asking me to make cakes for his work, and so I had lots of time to practice my lack of skills out on them (all they had to compare to was *W__Mart*, so to them, I was awesome eventhough my first few cakes really sucked!)
It gave me a chance to teach myself the ropes and become more confident. Now I have a legal home business, but I still don't like to charge close friends full price, business or not, as long as I'm not being taken advantage of (most friends won't do that anyway.)

My friend just emailed me that she has given my cards out to her daughters school ~ free advertising, so I don't feel bad about not charging her much. Maybe I'll ask her to teach me scrapbooking or quilting in exchange. icon_smile.gif

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #14 of 14

wow..saved your life. I bet you don't want to charge her because you want to thank her in a special way. This person saved my life so she gets free cakes for life? Maybe just this once don't charge her and tell her you are glad you reconnected and this one is on the house. Next time charge her regurlary. If she still insists on paying just tell her pay me for the next one and spread the word about my business to your friends and family when they need a cake. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%