How To Transport Bouquets?

Baking By sew4children Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm by kimsmom

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 10

How do you transport your cookie bouquets? By design they are top heavy. I drove very slowly, holding the bouquet in my right hand while steering to deliver my first bouquet today. When I stopped at a red light, the cookies "sprang" forward on the stick and ripped a chunk out of the styrofoam. I was able to pull over and fix it, but my heart sank when I saw all my hard work almost go down the drain!

Any advise would be AWESOME!

9 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 10

I would like to know what other people do too. You could get some bubble wrap, create a pillow & lay it on it's side. I like to lay mine down, but propped up. I still hold it though, but guess I could put it in a box to keep it from moving around.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:11am
post #3 of 10

I posted this before, but maybe it will help you as well. I made them to fit multiples, but you can use a smaller box if you are just transporting one bouquet.
The lid of the bankers box was cut to fit inside, and supports made from the scraps were added underneath the lid to raise it up enough to support the bouquets. You can see from the photo how I cut the circle to the size I needed to support the pots. The pots were pushed into these triangle cuts that help to hold it steady. I was able to fit 6 bouquets into each box. Plus I can reuse them for similar size containers. I hope this was helpful.
LL

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 10

I put them in a box and use crumpled newspaper all around the container until it is secure. I try to find a box that is just a little larger than the bouquet.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 10

I do the same thing as momg9 - I also have large pieces of foam that I use to deliver cakes with/on .. sometime's I will place that around them in the box .. great shock absorber!

edited to say: Thats an awsome system you have their Kimsmom!! I love that!

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 10

Ok, I don't know why, but I'm not understanding your system kimsmom. Is that a pie slicer? Do you put the containers into foam as well? Do you just stack your filled bouquets in the box or do you put something around the containers?

kimsmom Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Ok, I don't know why, but I'm not understanding your system kimsmom. Is that a pie slicer? Do you put the containers into foam as well? Do you just stack your filled bouquets in the box or do you put something around the containers?

No, it's my container, but I can see how you might think it's a pie slicer.
Hopefully these next photos will be a little clearer. This is just for a single bouquet.
LL

kimsmom Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 10

This is the second photo.
LL

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 10

Sweet! I totally see now. So does your foam go all the way to the bottom of the container? I'm always curious what people use to cut their foam? And while we're on topic how do you keep your cookies from twisting & turning in the foam? Is doesn't always happen to me, but every now then it does. I don't want to glue them b/c I'm afraid the person can't pull them out. Do you think RI would help keep them in place?

Thanks so much for helping my brain out.

kimsmom Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Sweet! I totally see now. So does your foam go all the way to the bottom of the container? I'm always curious what people use to cut their foam? And while we're on topic how do you keep your cookies from twisting & turning in the foam? Is doesn't always happen to me, but every now then it does. I don't want to glue them b/c I'm afraid the person can't pull them out. Do you think RI would help keep them in place?

Thanks so much for helping my brain out.

The foam was double stacked rounds ( 1$ each at the dollar store) that I glued together using a few toothpicks, and then rolled the whole thing on the counter while using enough pressure until the foam would fit the container. And yes it goes to the bottom. If I have to cut my foam, I use a serrated knife that I keep just for this purpose.
I don't ever glue my cookies in. I use as bamboo skewer that is slightly smaller in diameter than my cookie stick to poke a hole in the foam and then gently push the cookie in. I try not to twist it in as this makes the hole bigger which might cause the cookies to move later. If you have to change the position of the cookie, make a new hole. If you find that a hole is too big, and you don't want to move the cookie, use a toothpick or two to help fill up the hole so your stick won't move. Also line your cookies up close enough together so each one keeps the other from twisting. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%