To Continue My Story On The Chanel Shopping Bag Story.......

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:36am by cakebaker1978

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 3

I haven't really had a "cake disaster" and I was stupid to think it wouldn't happen to me..............

ok, ok,...I think it has been built up too much now! haha. It was just one of those days.....or 2 days in my case!! I was originally supposed to do a 2 tier whimsical cake for a friend's 30th bday. I haven't been cake decorating for long but felt I had the skills......I should have listened to my inner self and thought twice!! I had the cakes carved and tilted and whimsical....I went to cover the first tier with fondant and it ripped and tore and I ended up sending my husband for more supplies...I started to worry. After whipping up another batch of fondant(that I had to try and match to the other color)(did I mention half of this cake was black?? ugh....black fondant....need I say more??) I finally managed to cover the cake...not pretty mind you. Time went on and I was ready to put the two together and was feeling emotional by now, the tears were starting the well up in my eyes (this was a well paid for cake for a 30th bday!!For a friend...and I was totally screwing it up!!) The two together didn't look great and then my top started to slide and tilt the wrong way.....well at this point I started to cry and ended up throwing the whole thing in the garbage at 12:30am the night before her party. Ahhhhhhhh! So I was pacing back and forth stressing and weeping that it was hopeless, then my dear husband gave me a pep talk and said he would start cleaning up the cake disaster mess I had going in the kitchen and told me to start baking! SO, at 1:06am in the morning I picked another cake to do in 5 minutes and started baking....the cakes cooled over night and I carved, filled and iced them in the morning. Then I had to take my son and daughter to a movie bday party and came home from that and straight back at my cake and finished it about 15 minutes before it was due at her party. I apologized for the screw up and guess what, she was extremely happy with the new one! Everyone went crazy for it and I was saved.....but still will never stop feeling the guilt that I didn't come through with the whimsical. But I think what I came up with was pretty good given I had limited supplies at 1:00am and no sleep the next day, but I pulled it off. I am pretty sure that is it for me on the whole tier cakes for friends.........I love doing novelty and that is what I will stick to. So that's it, my story behind this cake and my first cake disaster. Talk about stress. I couldn't imagine how that would have felt if it were a wedding cake for a client or something. I think I will stick to nursing!!! icon_wink.gif Another thanks must go out to everyone here on CC for all the inspiration and countless hours spent admiring all the amazing talent here! You guys are awesome and have taught me all I know! Here's hoping I have to guts to try it again! haha

2 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 3

Ok if you did complete the cake than you are made for this. None of us are perfect but you didnt give up, even though you wanted to. I'm sure you can do it and just have to practice the whimsical cake again just for you at home and not give up. I havent tried one yet but when I do I'm sure I will have to make it more than once before I get it. Keep your head up

Karema

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 3

Thanks Karema!

I agree, it will take awhile for me to try it again after that whole experience but I will attempt it one day but ya, just for practice not for someone else. Thanks for the boost!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%