Is Shiny Buttercream Possible???

Decorating By liapsim Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 1:27am by drakegore

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 12

I wanted to find out if I could mix luster dust or something into the buttercream to make it shimmery? Or is there something else I can do? The whole cake needs to be done this way....thanks!

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 12

I have never heard of lustre dust used to make BC shiny..I blow disco dust on my BC after I am done the cake! Also usung a BC like IMBC OR SMBC has shininess to it!Kinda glossy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 12

Not by mixing it in. I used the PME sprays .... pearl ..... on BC'd cakes and it adds a great shimmer look.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 12

Ya I don't think adding it to the buttercream will work. I use a crusting buttercream and once crusted i will often apply edible glitter by just crushing it finely in my hands and kinda letting it fall on the cake. It makes a nice glitter on the cake.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Not by mixing it in. I used the PME sprays .... pearl ..... on BC'd cakes and it adds a great shimmer look.

Have to agree with endydebi. The PME pearl spray is absolutely wonderful. It will without a doubt give you a beautiful lustrous shimmer
on buttercream.

indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 12

butternut, the PME sprays are a little pricey, but oh my gosh, SO-O-O-O worth every penny!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 12

I always use the disco dusts,but i think the PME sprays will also work.And if my buttercream has crusted i spray with like water mist first so that it sticks.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 12

Like the others, I also use the PME pearl spray. About $12 per can, but you hardly need any on a completed cake. I use a light touch on the nozzle and quick sweeps. Lasts for a long time this way, and gives you the perfect shiny, pearled finish you are looking for!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks so much for the information1

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #10 of 12

hi!

when you use the PME pearl spray, do you spray it over the entire cake or just on flowers or specific decoration? can you use in on a non-crusting bc like SMBC?

i love thanh thanh cakes and i read she uses pearl dust in her airbrush. will the PME spray give a similar feel? that would be nice lol, as it would save me the cost of an airbrush icon_rolleyes.gif

diane

indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

hi!

when you use the PME pearl spray, do you spray it over the entire cake or just on flowers or specific decoration?

Both.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #12 of 12

i just bought a can! gawd, i love the internet icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%