The Venue Took Off All The Fondant From The Wedding Cake!!!?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm by KimLynnC

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 33

Ok...so I recently did a baby shower cake for a girl that I did her wedding cake last summer.

I'm delivering the shower cake & her mom's there. We're talking & she says "it's ok to cut it like this with the fondant on it right?" and I'm like "yeah" icon_confused.gif And she says "ok, because for her wedding cake, they took off all the fondant because they said it would be easier to cut"

WHAT?! I can't even imagine what that cake looked like when served!!! I was like "They did WHAT?!" I said "the fondant is perfectly edible and cuts no problem"

For crying out loud, I've cut through fondant cakes with a butter knife at home!!

So should I email the venue? Call them? Go there? I have several weddings there this year!!!

Jeepers.

32 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 33

I would in no uncertain terms contact them. If they don't know how the he** to cut a cake, OR if they are too dang lazy to do it right, then I would be serving that cake myself!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 33

Absolutely contact them or better yet, when you deliver your next cake there, ask to speak to the person in charge of cake cutting. Bring cutting instructions and tell them exactly how to cut a cake with fondant on it.

What a mess that must have been...........

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 33

I would definitely contact them ahead of time, or at least track down the cake-cutter at drop-off and explain how it's done.

I have a caterer friend who HATES to see a fondant cake come in because she hates to cut them.

And I will confess, and remind everyone, that when I made my 50th birthday cake, 2 tiers covered in fondant, that I came on here asking for help because cutting it was a NIGHTMARE!!! icon_surprised.gif I learned I used the wrong kind of knife .... I had used a serated (toothed) knife, which was the problem. A straight-edge knife works MUCH better, as I found out when I cut the top tier at home later.

Many venues probably use the cake knife purchased by the bride and groom and my observation is most of these are serrated knives.

So it sounds like just an educational process for them.

If you're so inclined and have the time, you might make a small fondant covered cake "for the kitchens staff" and use it to show them how to cut it and how using the different types of knives will affect it. just a thought .... icon_wink.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 33

I used to work for a very nice conference center in my home town and they always peeled off the fondant before serving it. This is well before I had began my cake craze (I was 14 or so) and had never even heard of fondant. They told me it was to preserve the cake and was supposed to be peeled off.. lol.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

They told me it was to preserve the cake and was supposed to be peeled off.. lol.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh I'm adding this one to my "Wedding Myths" list!!!
Sounds like we need a massive educational process with these non-cake making caterers and venues!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 33

You do have to use a pretty sharp knife to get a nice cut on a fondant cake...sometimes the serrated ones, as Indy said, can smoosh the cake a bit.

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 33

*mouth agape*

just in awe.

deangie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deangie Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Ok...so I recently did a baby shower cake for a girl that I did her wedding cake last summer.

I'm delivering the shower cake & her mom's there. We're talking & she says "it's ok to cut it like this with the fondant on it right?" and I'm like "yeah" icon_confused.gif And she says "ok, because for her wedding cake, they took off all the fondant because they said it would be easier to cut"

WHAT?! I can't even imagine what that cake looked like when served!!! I was like "They did WHAT?!" I said "the fondant is perfectly edible and cuts no problem"

For crying out loud, I've cut through fondant cakes with a butter knife at home!!

So should I email the venue? Call them? Go there? I have several weddings there this year!!!

Jeepers.

THAT IS INSANE! WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYY? icon_eek.gif After all that work you did with the fondant they butchered it?Sick icon_cry.gif [/b]

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 33

They told me it was to preserve the cake and was supposed to be peeled off.. lol.[/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's funny.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 33

I saw a special on Disney World weddings once. They showed how they took this beautiful fondant covered, 5 tier cake back into the kitchen for cutting. They actually peeled all of the fondant off and RE-ICED it before serving! I was amazed that they would do that.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #12 of 33

I would call the place. And then, I would be at the event, just to make sure things went well. I've never had trouble cutting fondant, but I use thin MMF.
That wedding cake must have looked absolutely horrid. "shudder"

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #13 of 33

I had to stop making cakes with fondant - everyone hates it! I have tried so many different types and the only one people don't sneer at is marshmello - but ugh I hate making it!

I have put myself in a corner with my signature fruit and whipped cream sponge cake. I can make this darn thing in my sleep. I want to be venture out into the wild world of air brushing and sculpting. Now I know how hair dressers feel when you ask for "just a trim" or "same cut as last time"...yawn!!

That is why I have decided to try contests - they appreciate the fine art of cake decorating! oopss...I have ranted... thanks for reading!

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 33

I recently read that in European countries where fondant originated, it was meant as decoration only and to protect the cake. There traditional cakes are very dence, not like our "sponge" type cakes. They also use royal icing like we use buttercream; to cover there cakes. I cant imagine cutting into a cake and the icing (royal) dont crumbles everywere. I guess alot of people just still dont understand fondant. There are some good ones out there. ie: Satin ice , Massa americana and Petinice.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 33

I just bought a sample size of Satin Ice - going to try it out tonight. Does anyone have luck making flowers out of fondant?

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #16 of 33

As far as flowers from fondant goes. Its always best to add either gumtext powder (wilton) or mix RTU into the fondant. Without it you really cant foll the fondant out thin enough to make realistic looking flowers. If you just want to roll out the fondant and cut simple flowers using simple cutters thats no problem.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 33

icon_lol.gif ha ha. I did this last year with my daughter's b day cake (Wall-E cake). I know, I know, it's horrible. It was a giant cube of cake and I looked at it and thought it would be so much easier to slice it all off. And everyone hates the taste of fondant anyway. icon_redface.gif

For a wedding, yikes. The venue should know better!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 33

I was told by a Wilton instructor that the cake is always taken to the back and the fondant is peeled off anyway. She said this after the class found out how gross Wilton fondant is. So I thought to myself why bother with it if it will be peeled off. Then I tried some different fondants like Satin Ice, Marshmallow etc. When I used Marshmallow fondant, everyone ate it and did not complain. If the fondant is peeled off the wedding cake that I deliver, I don't even want to know.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 33

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry reading your post mom2spunkynbug.

Bet you thought *what am i hearing* ?????
I can just imagine what it would of looked like being served up to the guests - icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
I would take a trip down to the place and speak to the kitchen/wait staff and explain the *do's and don'ts of serving cake*
*shakes head* - fancy serving a naked cake - icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I have never ever heard of this happening over here - but then again the whole BC thing has only been popular for about 5 years - 95% of cakes are *covered* over here - with some form of fondant/icing.

Since using Renshaws Reagalice from the UK i have never gone back to teeth cracking plastic tasting Fondant of any kind.
And to slice is a breeze because it doesn't set rock hard.

Bh.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 33

Yikes! I would be livid if someone did that to my cake. I love fondant (even more so now that I've gone MFF). I would speak to the venue in a non-confrontational way. Tell them that I heard this had happened. Ask them why and explain what they can do in the future. Good luck

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 33

oh that scares me-what about the poor brides/grooms (or whoever pays for the cake)?!?!do they know that their fondant money basically went in the garbage? i charge extra for that so i wouldn't want the venue taking it off-if a guest doesn't want to eat it they can peel it off!! i think i'm going to go to my bride's venue and speak with the staff/person in charge. i wouldn't want this to happen to me so thanks a bunch for posting your experience icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #22 of 33

Wow I bet the cake looks like the spackle coat on the outside of homes here in the South..LOL They should re-ice the cake but still I bet people are wondering why the cake on their plate looks nothing like what was cut on the table. The great cake swicheroonie! That is terrible!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #23 of 33

How many people thought she was too cheap to get the nice cake for everyone. They have this myth that you can get a dummy cake cheap and serve sheet cakes and will save $$$$. I even saw a site that RENTS dummies and provides sheet cakes. A full sheet cake that serves 96 for $30. If we see and hear these myths, what are cake muggles finding! Not only does this make the bride look bad, it makes the bakery look bad too!

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #24 of 33

My nieces 7th b-day party was Saturday and I made a 3 tiered cake covered in MMF. I had to use a plastic knife to cut it as I forgot to bring a real one. I admit it wasnt the easiest cutting but the cake got cut.

Bluehue- I tried Realice years ago and I agree it is the best. But I cant find it anymore. Where do you get it?

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #25 of 33

Ok... so if they are just going to go ahead and pretty much destroy the cake when taking off the fondant.... wouldnt it be easier and better if you did a fake cake for presentation and then sheet cakes that could be cut in the back iced and ready to go. I would think that would be easier and you wouldnt feel heartbroken when its getting ruined. Also!!!! they could take it home and keep it for memories I guess. I just made my very first fondant 5 tier cake (picture to follow) and I would be devestated if they took off the fondant and served it "naked".. all of my hard work not to mention how sore I was afterwards wasted.... gone... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

If a person wants this awesome cake with all of these fun and crazy things the least they could do is eat it. Whats the point if they are like I want like this and like that but you know what.... im gonna throw away all your hard work and just eat the cake part.... boo...

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:24am
post #26 of 33

mom2spunkynbug obviously you cannot control the venue your customer's choose so maybe contacting and going there would be what i would do,cos forcing your cake to do a strip tease is just not cool.

MicahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicahS Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:57am
post #27 of 33

Ugh! Could you imagine if you went with rolled white chocolate fondant? That stuff is horribly expensive but worth every cent. I could just see a place that has gotten used to taking fondant off scrapping 300 dollars worth of white chocolate. . . .

Stacey16303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey16303 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #28 of 33

OK..I'm a newbie so don't shoot me if I'm thinking incorrectly, please icon_wink.gif But..I've heard many times that most people don't like the taste of fondant (maybe this is incorrect data but for some reason this is "etched" into my mind, which is why I don't even think about using fondant)...so if most people just eat the cake, and not the fondant, what is the big uproar about the venue peeling it off before serving? And I did see that one of the big offenses is all the hard work that goes into decorating it, but if they're going to just cut into it and serve...what's the difference whether the fondant is on or off the cake. Everyone has already admired the awesome cake that was made. Does that make sense?

I'm scared to post this, lol - I'm expecting everyone here, (who I admire and have learned so much from) to come at me with pitchforks icon_redface.gif LOL Please forgive me if I'm being naive. And yes I do plan to try a fondant cake someday (still practicing with buttercream and find a good arsenal of recipes) - so maybe after that I'll understand as well.

(insert me cringing and crossing my fingers as I hit "submit post" - yikes!)

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #29 of 33

Stacey16303- you are correct in believing that most people do not like fondant. However, that is because most people have had crappy Wilton fondant that tastes worse than playdough. If you use homemade MMF or bought such as SatinIce, it tastes like marshmallows and is very very good. I have taken it to work a few times (I always take my experiments/practice to work, they will eat anything) and while they think it tastes good, very few actually eat all of it. It definately isn't used here... at all as far as I know. Here a venue would probably just look at the cake like: icon_confused.gif . Lol.

The issue with peeling off the fondant in the first place, for me, is that the bride paid for that to be on her cake and the decoator usually means for it to be eaten. That means that a portion (an expensive portion, usually) of the cake that was meant to be eaten was thrown away. That would upset me as a bride. That is like taking a small tier of the cake and just throwing it away because it doesn't look like there are enough people at the wedding to eat it. If I paid for it, I want it available to eat. As for the presentation "my hard work destroyed" issue, while it is being served it should still look good... not like a mound of destroyed cake just plopped on the plate...

Wow that was a long reply to one person!!

Anyways, I would definately call/visit the venue, maybe take them a sample so that they can see it cut and even eat it to see what it tastes like so that mistake is not made again. I would have just died to hear that like you did!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

I saw a special on Disney World weddings once. They showed how they took this beautiful fondant covered, 5 tier cake back into the kitchen for cutting. They actually peeled all of the fondant off and RE-ICED it before serving! I was amazed that they would do that.

I saw that special quite a few years ago, and I thought it was INSANE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%