Finally Doing It!!!!!

Business By mommicakes Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm by mommicakes

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 14

Okay everyone, please bear with me this may be a little long.

Well, I have been quite busy here lately. Not with making cakes but, doing all of the ground work, and grunt work too. icon_wink.gif

After I did the local bridal show earlier this month, I had all of my display dummies around my house, (DH has been telling me for months that I need to look at moving this stuff out of the house.) Well, I was driving home from shopping one day about 2 weeks ago, and found the perfect spot for me to open myself a "Studio". So i took down the phone number of the management company, called, and set an appt. to view the space. It isn't huge by any means, but, gives me a place to have some displays out, and do my consultations without being in my own home. It is located right on Main Street, at a corner, actually, it is the main intersection of town. I couldn't pay for better advertising EVER!! So after meeting with them, I put down the deposit, signed the lease, and now I have my own Studio space.

It gets better, during this time (2 weeks) I have sent in all of the paperwork for my tax numbers, did my water quality tests, (which came back perfect) and now the inspector is coming to inspect my kitchen next week. talk about going "balls to the wall".

I am sorry I just needed to share with my cake family, that I am finally doing it full force. I can't bake from this space, but, gives me more exposure, and I am not worried at all about passing the inspection, it should be pretty easy.

Thank you all for reading if you made it to the end of my post. I still can use any positive energy you can send my way, I will try to post a pic I took of the front window display.

Thanks you guys. You all are my inspiration, and best sort of support ever!!!

Donna thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 14

Good for you!! So nice to hear a happy story about people starting up businesses in these tough times!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 14

How exciting for you! I wish you the best of luck with the storefront and with the inspection process icon_smile.gif

Best wishes!
Deb

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 14

Best wishes

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 14

Ah, a cake studio, how nice! icon_smile.gif Congratulations! I'm happy for you!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 14

How exciting! These are fun times for you.

Why don't you want to bake from your new studio?

I can't wait to see your photos.

-Debbie B.

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 14

That's awesome thumbs_up.gif , Very very Happy for you!

mommicakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

How exciting! These are fun times for you.

Why don't you want to bake from your new studio?

I can't wait to see your photos.

-Debbie B.

Hi Debbie, It's not that I don't want to bake from the studio, it doesn't have what I need to do that there. I will have some cupcakes and small sweets to sell from there, but it is mostly for doing consultations, and to have display space. it is raining here right now, but, I will try to take a couple of pics today and post them this afternoon of the front window, and maybe one from inside. (if I can remember how to do all of that stuff on here).

Thanks everyone for your words of support. It was a little scary going into it full force, but it is growing on me. The town is VERY VERY happy to have another business around, this way, they can come and visit. Very small town, and everyone knows everyone here. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 14

COOL!!! sounds like all the positive energys were lined up for you perfectly. I cant wait to see pictures of your space. it will be great advertising for you 24hrs a day, with a fabo window display and all the info they need to contact you visable, i will be anxious to see how it works. report back in a few month about it, will ya?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 14

Arghhh - (loud scream of delight - icon_lol.gif )
How brillante is that for you....on a corner AND on a major insection
Just had a look at your web site and i have to say - what excellant hours you have there.... thumbs_up.gif

I know nothing of you and come from another world - but so very very happy for you - your own studio !!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ps - remember to change your *location* in your personnel settings - because now you will have to add studio - icon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 14

Congratulations, Donna! That's very exciting and it'll be so special to have your name on a storefront! That very first time you see it completed with your logo and your business name will just make you melt! We had a small salsa company and the first time I saw that jar with our logo in the grocery store it was just electric!

What state are you in? And are you at all considering outfitting your space so you can some day bake there as well?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #12 of 14

Congrats. Where is the kitchen that is being insoected if you can't bake from the Studio? Will you decorate from there or just consultaions? What about teaching classes from the studio? Good luck to you.

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 14

Congrats and best of luck!! I'm sure you'll do great.

mommicakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all so very much, I still can't believe this is happening. I pinch myself a lot these days. lol!!!

Sweetcakes: ain't that the truth. Someone is looking out for me for sure.

Bluehue: they say location is everything, i just hope that my window display doesn't cause any accidents. icon_redface.gif next on my list is to change the location in my info.

Donnagardner: My at home kitchen is the one that I will be doing all of my cake touches in. Here it is just a little small to have to worry about keeping everything separated from everything else. I haven't even thought about teaching classes yet, maybe someday, when I feel more comfortable. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank everyone again for the positive energies, and thoughts. I most definitaly will keep you all posted w/the happenings at "Donna's Custom Cakes Studio" Man....that still sounds weird. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%