? About Nicholas Lodge Gum Paste, Please Help

Decorating By Melissa0567 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm by Melissa0567

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 20

I made Nicholas Lodges gum paste recipe, followed the recipe exactly. Yesterday when a started using the gum paste it is almost like rubber. I colored it with gel paste and its like rubber, even before I color some of it it was like rubber. I was exhausted by the time I got the color kneeded in. It is not like the Wilton GP. What went wrong or is anything wrong with it? This is the first time I've made Nicholas Lodge GP so I wasn't sure if that was the way it turns out. What can I do to make it less rubbery?

Melissa

19 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 20

It almost sounds like too much powdered sugar was kneaded in. You shouldn't be tired after coloring it! I don't add in that extra cup of PS.

Did you add the entire amount of shortening that the recipe calls for, and did you knead in a wee bit of additional shortening to the portions you were coloring? Adding a little more shortening (according to Nick) helps the gumpaste to relax a bit.

His GP is quite a bit different from the way Wilton GP feels. I love Nick's GP.

Melissa0567 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 20

I did not add the one cup of powdered sugar I took out. I sprinkled my work surface with some of it and then kneeded the gum paste on it. I will try adding a little more shortening to see if that helps. Thanks for reply Cakepro.
Melissa

Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 20

You tell that gumpaste who's boss! Warm it up a teeny, teeny bit if you need to.

Oh ~ one thing I have noticed with Wilton gumpaste is that if too much shortening is kneaded in, the gumpaste siezes up and becomes very tough. Many of my students overdose their Wilton GP with shortening...I'm not sure if Nick's does the same, but don't be too generous with the shortening just in case.

Happy kneading! icon_biggrin.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 20

I make Nick's gumpaste all the time - it's the only one I use. The first time I made it I didn't knead in enough powdered sugar and it was very soft. It definitely sounds like there's too much powdered sugar. I usually leave a 1/2 lb out and see what the consistency is. Sometimes I add most of it, sometimes about half of that. It depends on the humidity where you are too. If you're still having trouble, I would call the shop. The ladies that answer the phone are great and always helpful!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 20

yep me too. where i live i cannot use all the ps the recipe calls for or it will be too hard, too stretchy and kill you. LOL

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 20

Another suggestion for loosening up Nick's gumpaste is to add in a tiny bit of egg white. I've had this work when using up some old stuff.

HTH
Rae

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 20

I made my first batch of his gumpaste last evening. It's in the fridge waiting to be turned into bunnys! icon_smile.gif

I didn't use any of the cup of ps i set aside. It said as soon as you can pinch it and it comes away clean from your fingers, so I left it out. I was a lil worried my eggs were lil larger than normal and I would have to much egg whites but it looks and feels fine. I will find out soon.

Being my first batch......I can't give much advice but I hth's some.

Chippi

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 20

I would add a little bit of egg white too. That's what he had us do last week with the gumpaste that was getting tough.

Melissa0567 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 20

So I should add a small amount of egg white and kneed it by hand? Thanks for all the replies.

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

So I should add a small amount of egg white and kneed it by hand? Thanks for all the replies.

Yes.

Rae

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:42am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

I made my first batch of his gumpaste last evening. It's in the fridge waiting to be turned into bunnys! icon_smile.gif

I didn't use any of the cup of ps i set aside. It said as soon as you can pinch it and it comes away clean from your fingers, so I left it out. I was a lil worried my eggs were lil larger than normal and I would have to much egg whites but it looks and feels fine. I will find out soon.

Being my first batch......I can't give much advice but I hth's some.

Chippi

Don't worry too much if you didn't knead enough powdered sugar in. The first time I made it, I was afraid of kneading too much in, and ended up not kneading enough in. I simply kneaded more in when I used the gumpaste and all was fine.

Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

Exactly - knead it right in. icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #14 of 20

Okay.........my first try with it and not having much luck. I was gonna practice the bunnys but when I go to roll a ball of it for body, legs etc. I cannot get the crack out of the ball. I worked on it for like 15 mins trying to get it out. I added a lil crisco also. Will glycerin help? I must've done something wrong when making the gumpaste any ideas what I did wrong CC'ers? icon_sad.gif All help appreciated tremendously icon_smile.gif

Chippi

Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #15 of 20

Trying to make figures out of pure GP is not a good idea.

Try using 50/50...mix equal parts of gumpaste and fondant, color, and use.

Everything I make - from flowers to foliage to figures, I use 50/50 (half Nick's GP and half Wilton or Satin Ice fondant - whichever fondant is closer to me at the moment icon_biggrin.gif ).

Chippi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:09am
post #16 of 20

Ahhhhh .....I can understand why. Will it work with MMF also? I can buy some fondant but usually make it.

Thanks Cakepro!

Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #17 of 20

I'm not really sure...a few of my students have tried using 50/50 for making GP flowers in my classes and it wasn't a good mix, but I'm not sure about how it would work for figures. I'm sure others will be able to give you a definite answer. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #18 of 20

I think you'll have better results with store bought fondant--Wilton kneaded with gum paste makes excellent figures.

MMF just doesn't have all of the products added to it that contribute to stretchiness and workability.

If you want crack-free figures, I'd definitely use 50/50 wilton fondant + gum paste.

Rae

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:59am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I think you'll have better results with store bought fondant--Wilton kneaded with gum paste makes excellent figures.

MMF just doesn't have all of the products added to it that contribute to stretchiness and workability.

If you want crack-free figures, I'd definitely use 50/50 wilton fondant + gum paste.

Rae

I've added Tylose to Wilton fondant and it worked really well to make figures. The 1st time I did it I added too much so I had some issues with the cracking the next time I made it I followed Aine2's video. She calls for 1/2 teaspoon to 250g of fondant (approx .55 1bs or 8.8 oz).

Or do as Rae and Cakepro suggested and mix 50/50 of both gum paste and fondant.

HTH!

Melissa0567 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #20 of 20

What about adding candy clay to gum paste? I added 50/50 candy clay and GP for some flowers I"m making. Will they hold up as good as just GP flowers? So far they seems to have hardened very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%