Covering Cake Board

Decorating By laborrn2 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm by Sweet_Guys

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 8

do y'all know what to use (and where to get it) to cover cake boards besides foil or a silver-colored product? I've seen Duff use this stuff (it looks like contact paper to me) that comes in multiple colors and is like a tone-on-tone floral pattern. Subtle but elegant. Ive seen it on several CC cakes too. WHAT IS IT? Can you help??? Thx!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:26am
post #2 of 8

I don't know what Duff is using, but you can cover the cake boards with anything - find a gift wrap paper you like, use this. On top of this comes clear foil or cellophane.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:32am
post #3 of 8

Clear foil?

Just don't put cake directly on any non-food-safe items, such as florist foil, gift wrap paper, scrapbooking paper, etc. Put cakes on food-safe cardboard cake circles that you then put on top of the pretty decorated cake boards. icon_smile.gif

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:44am
post #4 of 8

I don't know what Duff uses, but I know that many people use contact paper found at Michael's or Joanne's. You can get clear contact paper and put it directly over pretty gift wrap paper. Also you can use cellophane over the gift wrap. It is everywhere right now (people buy it to wrap their entire easter basket in). Clear foil must be saran wrap?

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:17am
post #5 of 8

I have used both clear contact paper and saran wrap. Sorry for the confusion, English isn't my first, not even second language.
Now I would recommend cellophane - contact paper can warp cake board made from cardboard, even if you glue several layers together. And I use this a lot for smaller cakes.

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 8

thanks!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 8

I have even gone to the birthday section at wal mart and gotten the plastic table cloths that are really thin and covered the boards with them you can get them in many colors and get many coverings out of 1 package. I do double them and attach them to the board =) . Some times they have the swirls and ballons or solid colors even vblack -o) Hope this Helps ! =0)

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 8

In many of the cake decorating books we've been purchasing lately, we've seen a lot more done with the boards covered in fondant...They look pretty, you can crimp or luster dust or cut out shapes and replace with another color...They then tie it off with a ribbon....We also read an article where Nicholas Lodge used royal icing and a stencil and stenciled the board...It looked really pretty!

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%