Cream Cheese Under Fondant?

Decorating By asschergirl Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 7:14am by iwantcookies

asschergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asschergirl Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 3

Hello ladies

I'm looking to cover a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting in fondant...do I have to worry about it going soft? I will freeze the cake ahead of time before the cake is draped but I haven't had any experience with cream cheese frosting under fondant...

Any good recipes and tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

2 replies
timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 3

Sorry, I'm not a lady. But I do have some experience (mostly bad) with cream cheese frosting and fondant. The worst was when the second and third layers slid right off the first layer! Luckily I had plenty of time to correct that. But several times I've had the sides bulge because the soft cream cheese filling couldn't support the weight. I've tired making the icing more stiff by adding more powdered sugar, but the results were too sweet for me. My best advice would be to use a lighter cake that will not weigh so heavy on the frosting, and maybe use a sturdier filling for inside the cake. I will be interested to hear other's experiences.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:14am
post #3 of 3

Maybe you could use a white chocolate ganache instead of cream cheese? I know that's what a well reputable cake decorating business uses here in Australia for their carrot cakes that are fondant covered. The white choc ganache would hold up up brilliantly underneath the fondant. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%