How To Flute Edge Of Gum Paste Rose

Decorating By AnnMelanie Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm by AnnMelanie

AnnMelanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnMelanie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know how to flute the edge of a gum paste rose as shown in Sylvia Coward's book Cake Decorating with SugarPaste? I know this sounds silly. I keep trying with the med ball tool (I think it is medium...), and even with the large. I doesn't really look like the pictures in her book. It is driving me nuts, I can't find demo's, tutorials. She doesn't seem to have a web page. I really like her roses with the fluted edge. Maybe I am not rolling it thin enough... I've tried pressing down on the edge and sliding/rolling it around. Tried lifting and pressing...

3 replies
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 4

I use a toothpick - works great icon_biggrin.gif

Ooops ! I'm an idiot icon_redface.gif don't use a toothpick on roses !!
When you are balling the edges of the petal, are you doing it half on / half off ?

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:50am
post #3 of 4

Tonedna has tutorials on roses on youtube. I found clips by Scott Clark Woolly and just watched the little bits that show him frilling or thinning edges. What kind of gum paste are you using? I've found that gum tex recipe doesn't work worth a crap for me when it comes to any kind of flower.

AnnMelanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnMelanie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 4

Maybe I'll try a bag of wilton gumpaste and see if the results are better. I just grabed some fondant and added tylose powder to it. I do have a recipe for the gum paste from scratch. I'm going to search for the tutorials you suggested. I guess half on half off would be true - I go along the edge of the petal. Thank you for the tips, I'll keep trying. Ann : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%