Edible Silver For Icing/fondant

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 3:03am by itzjstmoi

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 7

I am planning my daughter's bday cake. She wants pink, purple, blue, silver and she also said red. I know the first 4 colors would be fine, but not sure about adding red so will probably leave it out unless someone has ideas for it.
Anyhow, I don't know what to use to get the silver. I want something that is edible as it is little kids. I see lustre dust spray is edible, but the powders aren't. Suggestions?
Still throwing around ideas, but she likes a cake with stripes and dots with a roller skate on the side as it is at a rink. It will also be rkt or a dummy cake as we can't take cake. Have only made real cakes, so it will be another new experience. Oh well, that is how I learn.

6 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 7

Jennifer Dontz, JenniferMI has some amazing edible silver.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 7

I posted the same question when I needed silver for a car cake. I was directed to Global Sugar Arts site. The silver dust mixed with some vodka or lemon extract makes a great silver paint.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 7

Hopefully I am not stealing your thread, but can I also use this silver dust/vodka mixture on crusted buttercream? I have done it on fondant but need to make silver buttercream.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

there is a platinum dust called brillant silver that is fda approved. I got it at jesters and I'm on my third jar in 6 months! I love the stuff. www. f o n d a n t s o u r c e.com
you can dry dust it on any color for a nice sparkle or you can start with gray fondant and then paint with it on with lemon extract or vodka. You might need a couple layers for that.

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 7

thanks, I found the one on Jesters. Which one is it on global sugarart? There are so many.

itzjstmoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itzjstmoi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 7

this is going to sound dumb but, what's the difference between lustre dust & the wilton shimmer dust? And why did she say it isn't edible?! Do you just put it on dummy cakes or something . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%