Cream Cheese Frosting Lasting How Long?

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm by Redlotusninjagrl

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 2

I've been skeptical about offering cream cheese frosting as a filling choice even though it goes so well with carrot cake and red velvet because my mom always told me it needed refrigeration. Is there a version that can sit at room temp for like 2 days like buttercream can?

1 reply
Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 2

This is a hot topic among cakesters... I made a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing and kept it refrigerated. However, many on here will tell you that the powdered sugar stabilizes the cream cheese making it able to sit out for days. I wouldn't eat cream cheese icing that has been out for more than a few hours, but then I won't eat raw chicken that has been in my fridge more than three days. Others will say that cream cheese is only good for four hours total outside of the fridge (this includes the transportation home). If the cake is for yourself, use your own judgment. If you are making for others, I would treat it as though it is bad after four hours. If you are selling cake, you want to make sure it is fresh as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%