Starting A Cake Business In British Columbia

Business By Puppylove Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 3:22am by Puppylove

Puppylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to the world of cakes and all that can be done to make them. I have found that as an artsy person myself this is a great way to make a living...everyone needs a cake at some point right?.

Anyways I am looking into all the legal sides of a cake business and was wondering if someone could tell me where to start. I have tried the link here on CC but its a no go...could anyone help me with this area?

Thanks for your time and information! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 4

Two of the first places you will need to check will be the provincial department of agriculture. They will set the requirements for the food production part of your business. E.g. in Alberta, you have to have a seperate kitchen, not your domestic kitchen, if you want to bake from home. The other, if you are in a city, will be whoever does business licensing, because apparently some cities/towns do not allow home based businesses. Those are two seperate things -- the business part might say go ahead and start, but you don't meet the food safety requirements, or you could meet the food safety requirements, but not be permitted to run a business. I'll go look in my watched topics and see if I can find any other threads about this.

By the way, I am not a licensed baker -- just a hobbyist.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much....I really appreciate your looking into the threads for me. I will have a look at them after I put my babygirl(10mnths old) to bed.

THanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%