How Do I Get The Powdered Sugar Off Of Black Fondant? Help!

Decorating By bakeyclacker Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm by RobzC8kz

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 7

Thank you for looking at my post! I've got to deliver this cake in about 6 hours, and it's complete, with lots of black detail work. I put it in a plastic bag, hoping that the frosting would re-hydrate itself, and absorb the excess powdered sugar, but no such luck. I really don't want to paint on it with extract! That makes it shiny, right? Any ideas? I need my true black back! Thanks so much.
Becky

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry not sure what to tell you...hate working with black because of that, although rolling it out with a silicone pin on a silicone mat helps.

You might have to paint it I guess....

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

You use a paper towel with crisco on it and lightly run it all over. It will look shiny for a little while but it will all be absorbed in the fondant.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

If you have an airbrush, you can either just blow air on to it, or put a small amount of vodka in the airbrush and lightly mist the fondant. This will make the fondant shiney though, and it will remain that way. Hope this helps...good luck

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for your helps! I'll try the crisco and airbrush -- see what I come up with! If not, I can always paint icon_sad.gif Thanks friends

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 7

I take a damp brush (damp with water) and brush it off with that. Just had to do that this morning. I hope you find something that works for you. It is a pain!

I think I'll try the airbrush next time though! icon_smile.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 7

I use the shortening method for rolling out colored fondant. I put shortening down instead of powdered sugar. It's much cleaner than powdered sugar and there is no powdery residue on the fondant to have to brush, blow, or paint off. Also, the shortening keeps the fondant from drying and cracking as fast as powdered sugar does.

For white fondant I still use powdered sugar, but I'm slowing moving away from it. It helps that I have granite countertops, but you can use a vinyl mat if you need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%