Chocolate Cake - Ivory Fondant - Help Needed Urgently!!!!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm by SweetSweetCreations

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

I'm in the midst of covering a cake for delivery this evening....choc cake, ivory fondant. I thought I rolled the fondant thick enough, but somehow I can see the choc layers thru the fondant!! I didn't put a lot of BC on the cake, just a thin layer....help!! Do I roll a second sheet of fondant?? I really don't want to start over, since it's quite a large cake, and I don't want to waste the fondant!?!?! All help greatly appreciated!!

6 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 7

Add a second layer of fondant. You'll actually love actually love working with a second layer and probably be thrilled with the result.

janebrophy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

Awesome! Thanks!! I'll try it right now!! BTW- I love you for answering!! Can you tell I was panicked??? icon_smile.gif

lorijom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry about the stuttering there I haven't had my coffee yet icon_smile.gif

Make sure to slightly moisten the first layer of fondant so that your second one will stick.

janebrophy Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 7

LOL! I found that out the hard way... icon_smile.gif I have no idea why I didn't clue in beforehand....my brain is not working today...at all! Thanks again for your help - cake is done, I'm leaving now for delivery!! I ended up doing a 2nd layer for all 3 tiers. It looks much nicer. Do people do that often? Or am I just rolling it too thin to begin with?

lorijom Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 7

It is somewhat common to use 2 layers...sort of like in the UK they use one layer of marzipan then a layer of fondant for the top coat. It does give a beautiful flawless finish.

You may be rolling your fondant too thin, I usually roll mine slightly thinner than 1/4". Glad you got thru your crisis and all ended up well icon_smile.gif

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 7

I learn something new everytime I log on... I wish I had read this thread last night, I started to put a 2nd layer of fondan on a cake but wasn't sure and I was so aggravated just took it off and did the cake in buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%