Royal Icing Duh

Decorating By littlecake Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm by DianeLM

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 7

ok i made some pretty cool stuff for the first time around...i got another stupid question....is there something else you can pipe it onto besides wax paper?

i think the hardest part of the whole process was getting the piece loose from the wax paper without breaking it.

there has to be a trick to it, or something...HELP icon_cry.gif

6 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:48am
post #2 of 7

The trick is to slide the waxed paper downward off the sharp edge of a table or counter top so that no pressure is being put on the RI piece. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 7

wow that's so smart!

how about tiaras?

and...does the icing get harder the longer it cures?...i prolly jumped the gun and tried to take them off too soon...i waited 24 hours.

i LOVE royal...can't believe i waited so long to try it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #4 of 7

When I do a RI tiara, I let it dry on its form (waxed paper taped to a Wilton gumpaste mix can with the bottom cut off so there is no lip) for an hour or two, then go back and pipe it again (double strength). After 4 or so hours of having a tabletop fan blow on it, I slide the can off and very carefully peel off the paper. I let the fan blow on the backside for a couple of hours, and then it's ready for pearl dust.

When I make RI for something that needs to be really strong (like tiaras), I use 4 heaping tablespoons of meringue powder per pound of powdered sugar instead of the usual 3 Tbsp. icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:00am
post #5 of 7

You can pipe on acetate (clear report covers) and it pops right off. It might not work for tieras but is good for flat stuff.

littlecake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 7

wow THANKS tiggy2!...i knew there had to be a better way!

you could tape that around a 5 inch cake dummy to make the tiaras ....i'm so excited about royal icing, i was told that royal holds the color better over time, i was gonna use pink, but i was thinking it would prolly fade in a couple days.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 7

I pipe all my royal icing pieces onto plastic cling wrap (Saran). Peels off effortlessly. Works great for tiaras.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%